Digital audio interfaces

lronhoover

on my old recording computer I was using Pro Audio 9,
with Layla 20 bit PCI recording gear. Then a few years ago I updated to Sonar 3.
I found this did not work with windows 98. And so I just used Sonar 3
on my laptop with an Edirol UA 25 USB device. Well I finally have a
new desktop to turn into my recording computer.

(Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13GHz,1066FSB) with 2MB cache
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
320GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
16X DVD+R/RW CD-RW Combination Drive
Sound Blaster Audigy MB Audio
Dell A525 30 Watt 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer
IEEE 1394a Adapter
Vista Capable System )

And now I find my Layla won't work with XP. So what would some of
you recommend I buy to use with my new computer. I would like to
have at least 8 inputs and outs. 20 or 24 bit. And I assume a PCI
card would be better than a USB or a firewire.
Once again thanks for any help offered.

Not true. Layla 20's do work with XP. The drivers are right there on the Echo website. On the other hand, if your Layla 20 doesn't work with your HARDWARE, that's another story.

AND...Windows Media Center ...a popular OS that HP and Compaq for example keep sticking in their stuff for some unknown reason ....isn't really XP ...and is known to cause all sorts of compatibility problems with all kinds of software and hardware...one reason the sides of Cakewalk (one of many examples) boxes specify they're not giving any support for Windows Media Center as an os. If you know the tweaks, you can clear out all the media center garbage to get to what's underneath...XP Pro...but without the tweaks, most folks I know just format their drives and install a fresh "real" Win XP before proceeding with installing music apps/peripherals.

Back to the interface, if you want to bump up a notch to 24 bit, get a Layla3G if you want to stay pci based, or get an Audiofire 8 or 12 if you want to go firewire. As I mentioned in another thread, I just bought two more Audiofire 12's from these guys and the interfaces are spectacular performers. (and the price is about to go up at Namm).

http://www.trycho.com/trychostore/bfont-color0080ffECHO-AUDIOFIRE-12font-P7C399.aspx

Last edited:
The audio fire looks interesting. As I could use this with my laptop ( a Dell 9100) for away things and with my desktop for the home based recordings. As for my Layla I did install the new beta driver but then when I install the card for my layla the computer locks up on the welcome screen.

It is quite handy to have a "mobile" interface. And, for multi-input mobility, firewire is great, IMHO.

so I'm new to this firewire stuff. Is the 1394 type plug a firewire input? I'm pretty sure it is but I'm not positive.

Hmmm, it looks like Echo has done some development with Vista.

I've tryed very few soundcards out but have been looking for something that will work with Vista 32. I've seen that Motu and RME and now Echo have some offerings.

How does the Echo Layla 3G sound compared to something like a RME Multiface?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Randy

RandyW said:
I've tryed very few soundcards out but have been looking for something that will work with Vista 32. I've seen that Motu and RME and now Echo have some offerings.

Why?

XP will still run faster than Vista on most PCs right now. Why are you throwing away performace for the useless Aero Glass UI?

brzilian, I bought a new Athlon 64 X2 2.4Ghz system, it seemed like a waste to put XP on it. I have 4 other Intel based computers with W2K, XP on them so I'm not really experiencing any down time I'll probably end up putting XP on it if I don't see any verification of it working in the next couple of weeks. Actually I've already ordered another copy of XP. I work in the software business and am not expecting any miracles. I figure it is cheaper to get the Vista on a new computer and have it to put on when they get some bugs and driver issues worked out.

Ironhover, are you running W2K or XP on your 9100?
Sounds like you had w2K on your old desktop, Actually I prefer W2k over XP and Vista at this time it just plain runs more reliably with my Delta 1010lts.

Also did you download the txt file for the XP and Vista driver.
They recommend you delete the aud.ini file out and restart the computer
a few times. It also sounds like the ASIO drivers are the easiest to use.

Back