Digital + Analog ??

greenengineer

As the name suggests, I am still rather new at recording. I am thinking about adding an analog format to my digital setup. Right now I am using a Korg D16XD digital recorder along with Cakewalk's Sonar 5 recording software. I also have a Ramsa WR-T820B 20 channel mixer. I am thinking about opening my studio to the public and am wundering if adding an analog format would be worth the extra money, and if there would be a big demand for it with most musicians to be able to use both formats.
Can anyone give me some pros and cons on using both and if you have had a big demand for using both formats on most projects that you have worked on?

Are you talking about recording to analog tape? AFAIK and much to my dispair, production has stopped on new analog tape so supplies will be limited but it is a great way to add warmth and a certain "something" to your recordings.

There will be far more demand for an engineer who can do a great no-nonsense job regardless of whether they run digital or analog than there will be for an average engineer with analog capability. You might be able to hook a couple of early clients in by advertising analog capability, but you'll never hold them as clients or get references through them if you are not as good as your gear.

Build your reputation first; rep is everything in this business. Become a master with working with what you got and working with your clients first, is my recommendation. Then, if during/after that your clients tell you that there'd be a high demaind for analog, then you can add that in to spring yourself to the next level.

But if you concentrate on gear now without honing your customer and engineering skills, you'll get an early rep as a rookie with a lot of gear, which isn't a whole lot different from a rookie with a little gear.

Just one opinion.

G.

Also, when starting out you'll generally be dealing with smaller clients with limited budget (and often talent). Honestly, if you are new to recording you are not going to be able to charge 50/hour and expect to draw clients because of lack of gear, experience, reputation and so forth.

Aim for the 15/hour rate to start out with or whatever is fairly cheap in your area.

But having analog will work against you because none of your clients are going to want to spend 150-250 bucks for a reel of tape ON TOP OF studio rates.

Personally I don't see the need for analog anymore except on higher budget sessions... and even then *I* personally don't want to deal with those machines anymore. Too much hassle and wrestling with the noise floor irritated me.

Digital is the perfect media for quick projects, or people that need a lot of punch ins (i.e. most local bands).

Funny, i could only dream of the recording capabilities i have at my finger tips now ten years ago, i used to grind on with the Tascam 58, frightened to make a mistake when playing (Palm sweating pressure) then the over used tape lost its quality, and i'd have to save up for another reel, more added pressure. The tape used to jump off on rewind and snap, what a nightmare. I still have an analogue set up but never use it. Ah the good old days.

Welcome aboard, greenengineer.

Lost of good advice here.

I added a couple reel to reel machines to my setup for several reasons.

1) I'm curious about the format, different process, and fabled "sound" of analog.
2) To add a slight edge, or at least a difference, to my small studio business. Everyone Pro Tools LE and a sign saying "Pro recording! $25/hr!" around here.
3) Cheapest VU meters on the face of the planet are in a used r2r deck. I got 8 meters for less than what I would pay for 4 in a 3u rack...plus a 1/2" 8 track. :)
4) To get away from the #^%! computer for a change!!

1,3 & 4 have all panned out. I *love* analog recording. I mix analog anyway, so I already had all the gear set up for it and it was an easy switch.

Reason #2? Well.... very few people care about analog these days. Its reltively expensive ($50 for a 33 minute 1/2" tape) and digital outclasses it completely for ease of editing and track count. I'm glad I have them and I look forward to the client who wants to use them for drum tracks... but I doubt the machines are actually going to see much use except for MY projects.

much to my dispair, production has stopped on new analog tape so supplies will be limited but it is a great way to add warmth and a certain "something" to your recordings.

Dispair no more! Quantegy has been rolling out new tapes since April of this year.

Take care,
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:
2) To add a slight edge, or at least a difference, to my small studio business. Everyone Pro Tools LE and a sign saying "Pro recording! $25/hr!" around here.

In my opinion there are only two things you need to be successful at the recording business:

1.) Communication skills to deal with clients efficiently, courteously and the ability to understand what the artist wants to achieve.

2.) Reputation for audio excellence.

If you have those qualities you will get work, which will lead to more work, which eventually leads to bigger and better work. It just takes time and perseverence.

Its the only way I've gotten ALL my work, Cloneboy, with only a few exceptions. You're dead on. My experience in customer service (I was an outdoor program director for years- ever deal with irrational parents concerned about their kids?! Its a lot like irrational artists concerned about their art...) has served me very well.

Trust me, I have no illusions that artists will come flocking to my door because I have this or that. I just feel good about being able to offer options that others around here, in my price range, don't and I enjoy learning more about the craft of recording- while writing off the tape decks as an expense. :D

Take care,
Chris

Back