Digidesign Venue?

yoyo

At your service
hey all, how is this mixer, i know someone who is interested in getting it for live stuff, just wondering what the rest of yall think. it looks pretty sweet.

I can think of a dozen 'live stuff' mixers I would go for before this one, but here's a LINK to the biggest Digidesign merchant in the Midwest if not the country.

What other 12 consoles would you prefer to the Venue system? Have you used the Venue? The venue is a very different beast from any other digidesign products.

For the original poster, I hope your friend isn't really looking online for advice on a console that can easily run him $75k+. In my opinion, if he does not already know, then he should not be buying it.

That being said, in my experience the Venue is a pretty solid system. I still prefer the sound of a Midas XL4 or Heritage 3000, but the venue is a very capable console is highly regarded for a reason. Personally, the Venue is MUCH nicer sounding than a PM5D or a PM1D, but not as easy to learn as something like a M7CL. I also prefer the Venue sound to stuff like Soundcraft series 5's, Allen Heath ML5000's, yamaha PM5000's and 4000's etc... The stock EQ's are much more responsive and "analog" feeling than the yamaha and Digico digital consoles, but still does not have that same ease and power that the Midas EQ does. The routing on the Venue system is very well designed, and the plug in system for a live console and seamless integration with both Pro Tools HD and even Pro Tools LE is excellent. Whether or not I would buy something like a Venue instead of a Midas would depend alot on my client base, my current inventory, my projected uses, and my most common uses. It may or may not make sense to invest in a Venue, or even a digital console at all for that matter.

oh he knows the mixer very well and loves it. he really wants it. i'm just looking to see what other people's experience are with it.

Widespread Panic uses the Venue system for their live sound and seamless integration into their ProTools rig. Their live engineer is on record as really loving it and being able to use plugins in a live context, as well as the ability to go back and reference the previous night's show. There was an interview with him in some magazine i read in the past couple years, can't remember which one it was.

Seems nice enough. Spendy, but nice.

cheers,
wade

Widespread Panic uses the Venue system for their live sound and seamless integration into their ProTools rig. Their live engineer is on record as really loving it and being able to use plugins in a live context, as well as the ability to go back and reference the previous night's show. There was an interview with him in some magazine i read in the past couple years, can't remember which one it was.

Seems nice enough. Spendy, but nice.

cheers,
wade

Does auto-tune work in realtime? I've never used it... but for a good deal of the acts going these days, its probably a must.

Of course, they just lip-sync otherwise, so it doesn't really matter.

I have to ask, at age 14 who is it exactly that you know that knows and can afford a Digidesign Venue?

uhhhh the church i "work" at might buy this, the sound guy really likes this, he really wants to get this board.

There is a good chance that for a church, the Venue is overkill. They do may a more compact "Profile" version though. A yamaha M7CL may also be an excellent choice for a church, or even a used PM5D. Finding a used Venue is nearly impossible as of yet. The Venue also takes up a lot more space then you might think by the time you add your power supplies, computer, I/O rack etc....

Another problem with having a venue in a situation like that is operator training. What if this guy all of a sudden is not around? The venue is fairly easy to learn, but most people would not be able to walk up to one cold and be running in any fair amount of time. The PM5D is also that way to a certain extent. The M7CL however is the easiest to learn Digital Console I have ever seen. At least for someone that has a good understanding of analog consoles.

There is a good chance that for a church, the Venue is overkill. They do may a more compact "Profile" version though. A yamaha M7CL may also be an excellent choice for a church, or even a used PM5D. Finding a used Venue is nearly impossible as of yet. The Venue also takes up a lot more space then you might think by the time you add your power supplies, computer, I/O rack etc....

Another problem with having a venue in a situation like that is operator training. What if this guy all of a sudden is not around? The venue is fairly easy to learn, but most people would not be able to walk up to one cold and be running in any fair amount of time. The PM5D is also that way to a certain extent. The M7CL however is the easiest to learn Digital Console I have ever seen. At least for someone that has a good understanding of analog consoles.

It does seem like overkill in a church setting. I don't recall, but does the operator want to be able to record events and such at this church? If so, I would say go for a decent analog board and maybe get an HD24 & a decent computer for mixing down. Perhaps invest some of that money otherwise intended for the Venue on some nice mics for various recording situations :)

believe me, the board would not be overkill. it's a church of 6,000 people coming to the services... we're running a yahama dm2000 right now, and it's doing ok, but we really need more control surface and a lot more channels. we'd rather not have to put tons of expansion bays in the DM. It wouldn't be overkill, it would be pretty nice. and we have the space.... we have lots of space. don't worry about that. we're doing a whole lot of other stuff at the same time, we have the space.

you're worrying about operator training? guys, don't under estimate the guy running everything at the church. He knows about all those problems. That's why he's taught me and another dude to run the dm2000 so he CAN go somewhere else. and this is his job, he's not "not gonna show up". also, he doesn't particularly WANT people to be able to use the venue on first glance. that would be a nightmare. We don't want just any old person walking up to it and using it.

guys, would u stop thinking this church has no money and is small!!??? what do u mean, get a HD24???? DUDE, we're running nuendo, recording the sermons three different ways. We have thousands of dollars worth of mics. mics that cost a fortune and most people will never have. We've got a lot of equipment, and all of it is nice. very nice. i don't think you need to be telling me how we should spend our money. i asked WHAT IS PEOPLE'S EXPERIENCE with the Venue, HOW does the EVERYDAY user like them??!!!

don't speak and suggest stuff to someone u don't know and to a church u have no clue about. that wasn't the point of this thread. and don't tell me i'm overreacting. i'm not. i'm mad at how you are treating us like we donb't know what we're doing and telling me stuff i never wanted to knmow.

Something tells me they have the space.

How many channels does this thing need to have, anyway?

i dunno, i think we need round about 48, but since we're always growing, we'll need to be able to expand. so yeah, at first a lil bit of the mixer may not be used. but it'll become used.

the sound guy likes the fact that the preamps are separate to the mixer. cuz then we could put all the preamps on stage and create less hassle and space in the mix pit

I always enjoy these posts where someone asks for opinions, and then counters the answers given at every turn.

In any event, no one is speking to the size of the church, the quality of the engineer, or what the place does or does not need. At least I'm not. Someone mentioned your engineer not showing up, and it very well could be in the context that something happens to the guy. Shit happens, and if there is only one person in the tri-state area that can operate the board, your multi-thousand dollar mics that the likes of us shit-kickers will never get our hands on will go unused. But you'll be trained on it all, so I guess we've got that covered.

As for the monetary suggestion - I don't care if they install half a mil's worth of audio equipment, or if they can or cannot afford it. My point is, why not get something better for the money? Why waste 70k on something that could run you half that? If this guy is Hell-bent on using ProTools, then the Venue is what you're looking at - not much other choice. Looking into all the options is always a good idea, regardless of how much money your congregation is throwing at the PA system.

My last point will be this - out of all the people on this board, only a handful have probably actually worked large-scale live audio. Of those, there may be even less that have used the Venue system, as it is a rather new one, and I don't think live rigs get thrown out every 5 years to usher in new technology. So, asking a bunch of home recording hobbiests what they think of such a large system isn't going to yield much more than a lot of suggestions for working to the full advantage of a budget. Just some food for thought.

i never asked your opininion on what BOARD or if it is the RIGHT board to get, but HOW NICE is the board. the engingeer knows what he's doing, he's got an extensive college degree and training in it. he knows the stuff probly better than you do. have u ever used the venue? if no, then you should'n't have even POSTED in this thread. you think you know EVERYTHING aand have to POST in EVERY thread. you don't. so shut up and sit down.

If you guys are looking at the Venue, and you already are familiar with Nuendo and Yamaha's digital consoles, you should tell him to really consider the Yamaha Lyvetracker setup. http://www.lyvetracker.com/ There is full integration between Nuendo, the console, and the recording and effects system. Just call your local Yamaha guys and they can get you all the information.

i never asked your opininion on what BOARD or if it is the RIGHT board to get, but HOW NICE is the board.

You are correct, but as others said as well, it may not be the best board for the job. I was simply pointing that fact out, and regardless of how much money your church wants to throw at a PA setup, there's no reason to waste it. In your situation (or your engineer friends, anyway), it would seem the task goes beyond a couple HD24's for recording' sake. In that case, the Venue probably is a decent choice. As for the quality, I already stated: you shouldn't be asking a home recording board for advice, nor should your "engineer friend" need it.

the engingeer knows what he's doing, he's got an extensive college degree and training in it. he knows the stuff probly better than you do.

I would bet money on that being the case. I have done live sound to the extent of using a decent 24-track board, an HD24 for recording, and that's about it. Tight rig, but not what a church that large would need, if they really do need that capacity... granted, I can't imagine what you would require 48+ tracks for, but of course, I don't have any experience working for a church, especially one quite so large... if they are putting on stage productions where every person up there is mic'd, then I suppose it might be justified.

have u ever used the venue? if no, then you should'n't have even POSTED in this thread. you think you know EVERYTHING aand have to POST in EVERY thread. you don't. so shut up and sit down.

I'm really just more bored than anything, but have worked in smaller venues, so I can voice my opinion as much as anyone is allowed to on a public forum.

As for "every other thread", I post on what I know, or what I do not know. I don't jump into threads offering advice on matters that don't concern me. The Digidesign Venue is a lot of money for something you could easily substitute with a board costing less than half the price for. Either enter discussions with an open mind and be willing to accept opposing views, or don't bother starting discussions.

I love bbs wars! :D

Back