Digidesign 882

The 882's and 888s were the industry standard a couple years ago. Just make sure it has the I/O you need.

I just looked it up on www.digidesign.com Product index.

20 Bit Converters
8 I/Os TRS =4 or -10
2 SPDIF RCA type (24 bit)
They're probably pretty cheap now, and I'm not sure if the conversion process is the same as the 888 but It's probably a good deal.

Yeah, 8 ins is plenty for me. thanks for the response, this is kind of my introduction to recording and this is what I was planning on doing.

Im not sure if I need outboard pre's but i'll assume I don't. Im going to buy an inexpensive PC and load it with like 512 ram and run the 882. Im going to buy 1 or 2 SM57's and I think im going to purchase the package from MXL with their 2 condenser mics (MXL2001 and MXL603S) along with like 4 other random mics to be used on toms and such. The most mics I'll be using at a time is probably anywhere from 6-8 on the drums. After that ill just be doing guitar amps and vocals. Does this sound like a good setup?

Also, is the 20-bit sample rate is something to be concernced about? I can pick up an 882 pretty cheap and I think it would be worth it.

anyway thanks for the input
-RJ

You will need outboard pres.
What your doing is really not a bad idea. Some of the older Pro Tools stuff is still really good adn becoming pretty cheap. I saw a Pro Tools 3 setup for 1500 bucks and came with a mac! great deal.

Ah,I just found out the 882 is not compatible with protools LE which I what I wanted to run. Hmmm....anyone know a way to make it compatible or something? (IE. different PCI card?) The one I think im buying comes with "session 8" card.

Back