Digi002 rack A/D's

sk8ingsnowman

I am looking to purchase some pres for my 002 rack.

Just need to know if I should go with something like the octopre or the digimax or analog pres. Are the converters in the 002 better then the octopre or digimax?? if so If so then I will just go analog in.

also if I went analog I was thinking one or two DMP3's how do the pres in the octopre and digimax compare to the DMP3?

Any thoughts or info is awesome.

DAN!

anythoughts on the A/D's kind of a nit picky question but I am not sure how I can find out enough info. to compare these myself!?!?

There may be some that disagree with me, but I'd say that if you want to upgrade the converters you'll have to spend more than the 002 itself. Otherwise it's a sideways move.

My own personal rule is that if I'm upgrading I want the improvement in quality to be *very* apparent. That usually translates into GOBS of money. In my view, when you are staying within a certain price range, all the gear is pretty much the same, give or take a little bit. Any improvement would be incremental if at all, so therefore a waste of precious money. There are exceptions to this, but they are rare.

You may be better off saving up a for a really serious two channel preamp to use with your 002 rack. That might make the most noticable improvement. But again, a couple really good pres will cost more than the 002 rack.

I don't think you're "nit-picking" when it comes to A/D converters. IMHO they are crucial to the recording process and rank right up there with good mics and good preamps. I would agree with Sonic Albert. Your best bet is to get something better than the Focusrite or the Presonus. Nothing against these units but I assume they would offer comprable A/D conversion. If it were me, I would add something like a Great River MeNV1 or John Hardy M-1 along with a Lucid 9624 converter or perhaps the Apogee Rosetta. If you have less money to work with, perhaps a Grace 101 or RNP teamed with the Lucid.

i dont think he was asking what the next step up would be, he was asking if in his price range he was making the right decision.

Now I'm confused! I'm not sure what the question is! I assumed that Sk8tingsnowman was looking for a preamp that would sound "better" than the built-in preamps in his Digidesign 002 Rack. And, if he chose the Focusrite or the Presonus (with A/D converters and digital out), would their A/D converters sound better than those used by the 002 rack.

sk8ting snowman help us clear the fog.

My main concern was that I have heard good things about the A/D's in my 002 and I did not want to get the Octopre or Digimax if the A/D's were not as good as the 002 even if they have better pres.

But it really does not matter now I jsut bought a DMP3 and will be getting another as soon as GC gets one.

Thanks for the advice though your comments did get me the info I was looking for.

Peace

Back