digi001 + MOTU 2408

Sagar

Howdy Everyone.

Maybe someone out there can help me with this question.

I use a 2408 soundcard to get 24-bit audio into my computer. Love it; never had a problem with it. Lately, I've been getting a lot of film work, and have decided to invest in a Digi 001 ProTools system. I will write my music in Cubase using the 2408, then transfer the audio files into ProTools for further tweaking and spotting to timecode locations.

Can I use the inputs on the Digi *and* the inputs of my 2408 simultaneously? That's question #1.

2) If I don't need the additional inputs (which I don't think I do), can I just use the Digi software to edit audio files and save to disc? Or do I need to have the PCI card installed?

I'm currently using ProTools Free, but it just ain't able to keep up. I need more than 8 voices. A friend of mine will sell me his 001 for $600 if I want it.

Opinions?? Thoughts??

As always,

thanks

Sagar

Hi,
That seems like a big waste, First of all, digidesign has removed the smpte from pro tools LE. I guess they want you to buy their mix plus system. But, before you bite that bait, or get a system you cant use, perhaps youd try out nuendo? As I'll reiterate no smpte, synching up is a BIG UGLY BITCH.

And as for your #1 question, No, you cannot use the 001 and 2408 in tandem. I beleive you could add up top 2 more motu interfaces though.

for question #2, considering the lack of smpte and the answer for question #1 id say look around at your other option, digidesign has crippled the 001's software for your purposes. Theres digital performer, and nuendo though.

If you are using a pc, check out nuendo. If your using a mac and can wait a bit, try it on mac as well. But theres also digital performer wich would nicely compliment your 2408 and I bet would work fine for your needs.
www.unicornation.com
www.nuendo.net

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, Jaybird.

Strange that ProTools LE can't sync up via SMPTE;-- even ProTools free can lock to the SMPTE out of my MTP AV. I have locked to picture using ProTools Free on several occasions. Weird.

Yeah, I hear good things about Nuendo. I'm just a little miffed that Steinberg would rather make Cubase users pay for yet another software product instead of adding greater functionality to Cubase.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sagar

ummm

Pro Tools LE can definitely lock to SMPTE. It just doesn't display a SMPTE ruler or SMPTE timecode. But it definitely locks to it, just like Pro Tools Free, as you were saying. It's just a question of whether you can work within that limitation, and you have to do some math. Yeah it sucks, but it is Pro Tools and nothing else gives you that compatibility. Also, 5.1 (the new version) has a cross-platfom file format, so you can easily move it from Mac to PC and back, and between high end TDM systems and low-end systems.

Back