Digi 002

hey Charger, is there a way to know how much more processing power do you need when working with 96 khz?

Looks like a cool thing (albeit a bit ugly for me). But it's a whole different beast from the Digi 001, starting by the price segment.

It's a pretty simple equation. You need twice the power when working at 96k that you do when working at 48k. Your drives also require twice the throughput to record or playback the same number of tracks.

I don't think it would be a stretch for most modern mid-to high-end systems to put out 32 tracks at 96k.

I don't think you will have much of a thruput problem. The thing is with plugins. For example, if I put 2 identical reverbs at 48 khz, then my system chokes. That will be the same processing as one reverb but in 96 khz. That's what worries me, that I'll need to upgrade my machine also.

Yeah, but you don't need to work at 96k. I'm definitely not going to for music that's destined for CD (I'll stay at 44.1), and it's never been proven to me that there's a need to.

I wonder how the converters in that compare with the MOTU 896? The built-in digital mixer is a very cool feature.

All we need now is PTLE for OSX.

M.Brane said:
I wonder how the converters in that compare with the MOTU 896? The built-in digital mixer is a very cool feature.

All we need now is PTLE for OSX.

Late fall, Digi says.

Im probably the biggest pro tools lover on this site... Thats no secret, but that price is ridiculous....

I think they just priced themselves out of the home recording market.... isn't that what the 001 was all about... Awesome pro level system, scaled down and sold at an affordable price...?

This new one is like $4000 Canadian......

My 001 was $1499 Canadian..

Remember Vox, that's list price. List on the 001 is $1000, but I've seen them go new for $750. And I don't think they have any intention of getting rid of the 001. But if you look at the market right now, they're priced competitively with any comparable I/O + control surface + software package.

It's is sweet... it's lovely...

I know, and it is a good bang for the buck deal... But what I am saying is...

You have Digi 001 for the homewreckers and the 'big' Pro tools for the "Pro"... Me things, people will choose one or the other and this middle of the road deal, however sweet it may be, ain't going to be a big seller...

It's a bad idea in my opinion .... Not that I really care... Im happy with my 001... But as I said.. it's opinion...

(I just realized I made it sound like I was balking at the price of the package... But I didn't mean it that way.. I meant it in a marketing view)

Joe

i think i will buy it...heh..

to me the control surface etc. would be worth it...

but, what I would need to buy it would be info that said the converters/sound is better than the 001...if not then i will just stick with my aardvark for a while I think, even though i want to learn PT software.

for 2500 bucks.....it really should sound better. <sigh>

Before long I'll just decide to wait it out and get the "real" system.

actually, it would be cool if you could like integrate a 192IO into the Digi002 system....now that would be something.

Price Point

I'm a bit confused on the price point. I can pickup a Event EZBus for 500 bucks. Using an optical card (easy to find these days and Event makes one EZ8), I can record 8 + 2(USB) channels at a time. If you're not a protool fan you can buy a decent software package between 300 and 500 bucks.
The Cost: 500+100+400ish=900 Bucks...it seems like the only thing I loose is motorized faders. Compare that to Digi002 for 2000 bucks (assumed retail) and I'm looking for why firewire is worth 1100 bucks more!

Back