Digi 002 vs. Tascam 1884

bradly

What is the difference between the the Tascam 1884 and the Digi 002? Am I missing something here? Why is the 002 more than twice as much? Thanks guys.

-Bradly

The 002 comes with pro tools and some expensive pro tools plug ins and the tascam doesn't both are great machines it just depends on what software u r going to be using but if u can afford it might as well go with the pro tools set up if u are serious but if not then go with the tascam because if u get serious u will buy the tascam now and then turn around and have to/want to buy u a pro tools setup later so might as well do it big now and teach yourself on the best of the best pro tools and nuendo 2.0 is what the majors are using.

two separate companies to begin with...
the tascam has more preamps and separate place for inserts, more MIDI I/Os and a word sync. and yeah...there's no software included.
Take a look at the 002 rack unit...it's the same in the back as the normal 002, but doesn't act like a controller. And it's cheaper. So you could buy that, and then find a controller later if you find yourself wanting one.
:cool:

what are you guys comparing them to? for a general preamp provided by a company who is known for something else besides preamps....they're pretty decent. If you're comparing them to a Neve or Focusrite preamp, well what the hell do you expect? This is one of the reasons Digi gives you just a few preamps with your unit. 2 on the 001...4 on the 002 and none on the HD units. Because they know you're going to want to replace them anyway with something you prefer.

Thanks

you can bypass them if you latter want to upgrade to better preamps anyway, can't you ?

I don't know the pre amps of the tascam, although I notice that many people who claime much difference between pre amps often fail on a blindfold test, like we once did on the pro tools forum.

The Digi 002 preamps may not be the top of the range, they are good enough to get great results.

BTW just a little question : is it possibile with the Digi 002 to use an external preamp device (for instance the M-Audio Octane) to add more XLR channels ? If the answer is yes, how will it be connected and how could it be used (could it add 8 more "real-time" channels, making possible to record 8+4 mics at a time ?...)

Anje said:
BTW just a little question : is it possibile with the Digi 002 to use an external preamp device (for instance the M-Audio Octane) to add more XLR channels ? If the answer is yes, how will it be connected and how could it be used (could it add 8 more "real-time" channels, making possible to record 8+4 mics at a time ?...)

sure can. you can switch the Mic pres to line in and plug in four different preamps there to replace the first 4, plug in four more in the line 5-8, and buy an interface with ADAT out that has mic pres in it (such as the Behringer ADA8000...cheap way to do it) and plug that into the ADAT in of the 002 and you have 8 more ins. That'll give you 16 preamps total right there!

Back