digi 002 - A/D converter or processor?

protein

I'm contemplating getting a digi 002 rack and a fast PC. I'm just trying to get in my head what the system actually is. Is the rack just an A/D converter or does it actually run pro tools? I mean does the actual processing take place in the rack while the computer just runs the visual and interactive element?

If so, couldn't I use the digi 002 rack with any old piece of crap PC?

I've looked all over the Digidesign website but I must be missing something.

provides you with A/D converters, intputs and outputs, mic preamps and the ability to use protools LE software.

-shami

The Digi002 is a piece of firmware, and a piece of hardware. It contains the interface software for Pro Tools LE, but you need the Digi002 to use it. It has a considerable range of analog and digital I/O's, but usually works by firewire out to a Mac or PC. System reguirements a fairly high, so you want a fast, stable, quiet, computer.
The 002 has 8 simultanous channels in. 1-4 have Focusrite preamps which are not too bad, better than most mixers. 5-8 are line ins, with no phantom power, and no pres. I use the mixer version, so I have to be careful not to include features of that model. Overall, the Digi002 is an A-D convertor, and much more. It's a 32 track recording system, and its headphone/monitor section is very good. I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore when I dragged the virtual fader on the computer screen down with my mouse, and watched the real fader on the mixer move to match! Woo Hoo! I have to say, I like the mixer version a lot.-Richie

Last edited:
I've been talking to the nice people at Digital Village and they can sort me out with a nice studio ready PC and Digi 002 rack all configured and ready to go for under £2,000. When I have more money I'll probably get myself something like the Behringer ADA8000 which will give me 8 more XLR mic pre ins via the ADAT input.

The only thing I'm worried about now is only having 4 mic pres. I don't really want to buy a mixer for the other four. I could get it up to six right now using my AW16G as a sub mixer but that's not a great option.

Back