Digi 001 - Pre & Post roll

Elisa

I purchased "A Musician's Guide to Pro Tools" and I'm stuck. After I recorded the first track the book asks us to check out the Pre & Post roll features. I was able to use this function successfully. After messing with the selector, grabber and trimmer the author now wants us to punch in to correct mistakes. When I highlight a section from track 1 using the selector and set the Pre & Post rolls for six seconds, Pro Tools starts playing from the beginning of the song instead of from the middle (the section I just highlighted). How do I get the Pre and Post roll functions to work again. I have a Digi 001 with Pro Tools 5.0 software.

Also I noticed that after I used the selector, grabber or trimmer, my mouse is the shape of an arrow when I am not in any music region. However, when I scroll the mouse over a region, the arrow shape changes to last item I clicked (either the selector, grabber, or trimmer). The books says to turn the features off, just click the mouse in any area that doesn't have any music on the screen. I've done this but each time I scroll over the region, it automatically turns the undesired function on. Please Help.

You said, "Pro Tools starts playing from the beginning of the song instead of from the middle (the section I just highlighted)."

Try this - one of the pulldown menus has "Preferences". Make sure you have checked the box that says "Playback follows insertion" (or something like that). Also, you may have accidentally turned off the start/stop locate button (in the upper left there is a button with what looks like two little quarter notes, one upside down, the other rightside up.) Make sure it's "lit".

You also said, "...after I used the selector, grabber or trimmer, my mouse is the shape of an arrow when I am not in any music region. However, when I scroll the mouse over a region, the arrow shape changes to last item I clicked (either the selector, grabber, or trimmer). The books says to turn the features off, just click the mouse in any area that doesn't have any music on the screen. I've done this but each time I scroll over the region, it automatically turns the undesired function on."

It's supposed to change around like that, but it is a bother when you accidentally trim or grab something you don't want to trim or grab!

Try this - if you click on the little bar below the trimmer/waveform/grabber tool, all three will light up, and they will pop up depending on where you put the cursor. That's pretty cool and speeds up your editing sometimes. Also - you can use the keyboard shortcuts with your left hand (command+1 = microscope, command+2 = trimmer tool, etc.) as you move the mouse around with your right hand. This saves a TON of time and speeds up the editing process.

I hope these tips help, even if they didn't answer your exact question.

Pastorob

It is possible that you've set your pre and/or post roll to 6 minutes, or 6 hours. I do stuff like this all the time. Also, for some reason I've noticed that Pro Tools sometimes keeps different pre/post-roll values when recording is enabled or not enabled. I know there's a setting for it somewhere, but I'm too lazy to figure it out. If you hit the record enable button before you set the pre/post roll, this isn't a problem. Also, in my opinion post roll is annoying as hell.

Back