digi 001 and software (be gentle) or Layla24

guhlenn

Oh REALLY????
I might get one (350). I can get a layla24 for even less(200). But i like the monitor volume knob (from experience, it is worth something...) and protools. But do i get all the fancy schmancy plug ins and things? I really cannot tell from the website. prices are insane so the plugs and software would definately justify the extra cash spend on the digi. Please don't start a ban digi campaign here. I know. I don't care. I want alot for little. I know layla might be slightly better. But no software... I like the idea of all in one software. But do i get it all, or is it just the 6.4 slimmed down version ? I really tried , searched here and at digi, but they say all plugs come along with 6.4 but next they tell me it costs a shitload... (like the fearn (?) compressor for 599,- wtf?)

Some help here. I'm a digidesign newbie (you guys kept me away! LOL) but man, i just want to record. I can always add nice AD/DA and preamps later.

Help :o :confused:

REALLY appreciated... :)

where are you getting it from?
if it's ebay or something...make sure it does come with software at least. a lot of people leave out the software and just include the hardware.
and no, you'll get basic plugins with the 001 most likely and maybe some trial versions of others. i don't know if back in the day they had 001 Bundled with a bunch of plugins like they do with the 002 now.
also keep in mind that you won't be able to upgrade the software anymore for the 001. 6.4 is the last version you'll be able to get

I love my protools rig (002R) but I have to warn you that the newest version of Protools (6.7) no longer supports the 001. I would assume this means Digidesign is going to be phasing out support for that system.
If you get 6.4 (LE) with it, you will get the basic digirack plugs. That'll give you basic EQ's, compression, delay, reverb, dither, etc. Digidesign usually will bundle other "name brand" plugins or slimmed versions, but which ones vary. Better call and find out exactly what else you're getting with it.

I know about the 6.4 limitation,. which is fine. on the websiet they state that all the cool plugs come along with version 6,4 ... but somehow i doubt that.

I will be purchasing after trial, in person, so iw ill get everything. i even asked for the f*cking receipt...

from the website ;

Important Information About Pro Tools LE 6.4 Plug-In Updates

Except where noted, plug-ins on this page are included on the Pro Tools LE 6.4 Update CDs, and the Pro Tools LE 6.4 and LE CDs included with upgrades and new purchases.

In order to greatly reduce the size of the web downloads, these optional plug-ins are NOT INCLUDED with the Pro Tools LE 6.4 downloads. All Digidesign and Digi-distributed plug-ins must be updated in order to work with Pro Tools LE 6.4.

-
Here's what scares me; After running the Pro Tools 6.4 LE web update, you must download updates for any of these plug-ins that you own and install them after installing Pro Tools BEFORE launching Pro Tools. Otherwise an error and possible crash will occur on Pro Tools launch.
-

Plug-In Downloads

Downloads are available in the Developers/Plug-In Info section of the website. For help with downloading, see the Download & Website Help page, particularly FAQ #1.

Or download from the individual plug-in product pages listed below:

Digidesign Plug-Ins

D-Fi
DINR LE
Focusrite d2/d3
Focusrite Forte Suite
Maxim
Prosoniq Orange Vocoder
Smack! LE
SoundReplacer
SurroundScope
Digidesign/Bomb Factory Plug-Ins

Bomb Factory BF-3A
Classic Compressors Bundle - Bomb Factory BF-2A and Purple Audio MC77
Cosmonaut Voice
Fairchild 660 and 670 Bundle
Free Bomb Factory Plug-ins
JOEMEEK Bundle - SC2 Compressor and VC5 Meequalizer
moogerfooger Bundle
Pultec Bundle
SansAmp PSA-1
Slightly Rude Compressor
Tel-Ray Variable Delay
Voce Bundle
Digi-Distributed Plug-Ins

Focusrite d2/d3
Focusrite Forte Suite
Prosoniq Orange Vocoder
TL EveryPhase
TL Space Native Edition

I don't get it. I really don't. I have a university degree for crying out loud ! do i need to return that? :eek:

All that stuff does NOT come with the package. Some are demo only, some are part of a more expensive "Factory" bundle. You should get like 6 discs with your system. Mac PT6.4, Win PT6.4, Bombfactory plugs, Ableton Live CD, Reason Adapted CD, and IK multimedia CD (sampletank, amplitube, TRacks EQ)
Since these come with your purchase, they will be the latest versions and won't need updating (I think, I recently upgraded from 6.1 without having to upgrade plugs)

Assuming you get what you would with the 002 packs, this chart might interest you (at bottom of page)
http://www.digidesign.com/products/bundle/

Damnit! i thought it was fishy. Is it me or is that text somewhat vague by intention?

so the speaker yells; you get.... NONE of the above? :rolleyes:

I always wondered about soundreplacer, big thing for me :p (replacing kick drum and tomms... LOL)

edit; and i HATE T-racks. So what DO i get? man this is confusing, i get the masterizer which is funky wallpaper? Screw that! :(

guhlenn said:
Damnit! i thought it was fishy. Is it me or is that text somewhat vague by intention?

so the speaker yells; you get.... NONE of the above? :rolleyes:

I always wondered about soundreplacer, big thing for me :p (replacing kick drum and tomms... LOL)

edit; and i HATE T-racks. So what DO i get? man this is confusing, i get the masterizer which is funky wallpaper? Screw that! :(

it's a sales gimmick of course. software companies have been doing it for years. the Focusrite stuff is $600 alone...and I doubt they would just throw that in for free. Someone needs to get paid for it.
You'll get T-Racks, Amplitube, Samplitude, Reason, Maxim, all the standard Digi plugins (EQ, compressor, limiter, reverb, delay, etc.), and all the bomb factory stuff. There might be a few more thrown in there...but that's the basic bundle. If you want more, you'll have to purchase the factory bundle version.
Sucks...but that's the world of consumer versus manufacturer

ok fair enough. I woudln't have been dissapointed if they just "told it like it is". But i get that a lot, even when I'm not buying stuff. :D

Edit

Prolly meant Sampletank, it's a sample player, the SE version you get only plays the native samples, but there's some usable sounds.

yep, did the edit all ready...

so is LE worth the extra cash or should i go with the layla? I'm guessing the preamps are shit in the box LOL? or are they somewhat comparable to the digi002 pre's (which are rated rather high... for on-board pre's...). enlighten me! ;)

Can't comment on the 001's pre's but the layla is only 150 less. You'd be hard pressed to find software comparable to PT LE for that amount.

what reshp said is true...but you also need to think about the future. Using the Layla with other software that you can upgrade over time would be nice. The 001 is a nice unit, but it's starting to get old. I don't know, I'd really make your decision on what software you like using better. Seems like that might be the deciding factor

Back