diffrence between soundcard and interface???

HungPhat

what is the diffrence?

do i need both??? or will an interface such as presonus firebox and mbox2 double up (ie playback mp3 files and video game music as well as record)

my computer doesnt have a soundcard and i dont wanna have to find out hte hard way.

and also firebox VS mbox2 (Firewire vs USB)

cheers

Generally if there is a soundcard designed specifically to be used for recording, it is called an interface. Examples of interfaces could be anything from the M-Audio MobilePre and Delta1010 to the Presonus Firebox to the Motu 828mkII to the RME Fireface. Yes, they are technically soundcards, but they are geared specifically for recording purposes.

If you get an interface (such as the firebox or mbox2), it will also be able to do almost anything a "regular" soundcard could do except all the special stuff like surround sound, or audio environments (like Creative EAX).

Even more generally, the interface is just that - It's the interface between your recorder (in most cases, your computer) and the rest of the world.

In some cases, it's a sound card. In others, it's a T-DIF, AES/EBU, ADAT, S/PDIF or other digital audio connection to the computer from an external set of converters.

i have a Firepod and it does all the same things a regular sound card would do as far as audio playback on the computer (MP3, video, etc.). and i'd probably recommend a firewire interface such as the Firebox.

Massive Master said:
Even more generally, the interface is just that - It's the interface between your recorder (in most cases, your computer) and the rest of the world.

In some cases, it's a sound card. In others, it's a T-DIF, AES/EBU, ADAT, S/PDIF or other digital audio connection to the computer from an external set of converters.

Also, a sound card is just that: a card. An audio interface can be USB, FireWire, or a card. The term "sound card" should just be used when you're talking about a card (e.g. PCI, CardBus, PCIe, ExpressCard, etc.).

Back