different monitor/headphone mixes in iso rooms

suprstar

It aint ez being green
I'm pondering the best way to go about this... I don't have separate iso rooms anyway, this is merely for my curiosity. I was in a big pro studio years ago that had this setup with a bunch of iso rooms:

A main console with lets say 8 aux's. Assign a drum submix to aux 1 and 2, a couple guitars on 3 and 4, a bass on 5, vox/backups on 6 and 7, and a keyboard on aux 8. They ran these aux's to a 8 channel mixer in the live room and let the performing musician dial in their mix however they like it. Now lets say there are 4 iso rooms and you want to give all 4 rooms these same 4 source signals and a mixer, so they can all tweak their own mixes. You need some way to split those 8 source aux signals and run one set of 8 to each room. There'd be an awful lot of cabling involved, maybe some pretty long runs. IDK if they even make some kind of audio multiplexer, but that might be worthwhile if they're cheap enough... Is there a better way of doing this? Any thoughts / ideas how to implement this relatively inexpensive?

Do most studios even do this? It's cool and all, maybe overkill, kinda blingy / show-off-ish..... Would you bother? You dont want the musician wasting time dicking around with their mixer all day if it's distracting.. I assume they'd just put stereo mixes for room 1 on aux 1/2, room 2 on aux 3/4, etc. and make the musicians ask for 'more vox' or 'less guitars' or whatever. I've seen it both ways in live stage setups. What's the norm?

I don't think most studios do that but I recall a company who made a setup to do exactly that and they had a small mixer that clipped on to a mic stand.

One El Cheapo way to do this:

Feed the separate signals to each room into a passive mixer - just volume pots and resistors and then into an old home stereo amp which will provide the makeup gain plus give you a powered headphone out.

But truthfully I wouldn't mess with it. It isn't a bad idea to have separate amps (home stereo amps) in each room, especially next to a drummer, so he can control the volumes in his phones though. Giving everybody the ability to mess with their own mix... I wouldn't bother with that.

Back