Different machines = different speeds?

MagnumPI

Quick question. I'm working with a Tascam 388 right now in the states but planning a long trip to Europe and have a 388 on that side waiting for me to continue work there. Do you think the playback speed could be a bit different using my recorded tracks and switching to another machine? Dave, you've had a bunch. Did you even go machine to machine and notice any slight speed difference? I'm guessing yes.:eatpopcorn:

I lived in Europe for 14 years and had turntables, tape players etc. As long as the 388 in Europe is set to 230V/50HZ you should have no problem. The only time you have a problem with tape speed, turntable speed etc. is when using an external transformer on normally 120V/60HZ equipment.

I lived in Europe for 14 years and had turntables, tape players etc. As long as the 388 in Europe is set to 230V/50HZ you should have no problem. The only time you have a problem with tape speed, turntable speed etc. is when using an external transformer on normally 120V/60HZ equipment.

That happens when the capstan motor is locked to the mains frequency, which shouldn't be the case with anything made after around 1975. The 388 should be fine in that regard.

As for the original question, two machines should be roughly the same but it depends how well maintained and calibrated they are. Unless one of the machines is way out of whack it shouldn't be a problem. If you're really worried, record a 1KHz tone at the start. Generate the same tone in the other studio and if it's very different, adjust the varispeed until they match.

I think if TEAC Service calibrated the speed during your full refurbishment, and your friend's 388 in Europe is still close to standard you'll be alright.

In a pinch there is the Pitch control, but it's best to put some known test tones on the reel to make calibrating speed on another machine easier. Guitar tuning tones would work, or any known tone off a keyboard, and then use a guitar tuner to verify & dial in the speed on the other machine. We're not talking about serious calibration tones, just matching pitch.

You take for granted TEAC set the standard speed during the full refurbishment process. It's an assumption & you know how that usually goes.

All machines will vary in speed a little, unless they've been calibrated to an exact standard, and even then there's a little variance due to temperature and other minor differences.

:spank::eek:;)

Do you think the playback speed could be a bit different using my recorded tracks and switching to another machine?

Even if it is....it's not an issue, and it wouldn't be much of a speed difference anyway.

Your recorded tracks will just play a little slower or a little faster if the speed is different.
Also...the pitch will go down or up accordingly...so whatever new tracks you record on the other machine, will match up, because you will play a littler slower/faster, and you will tune a little up or down.
When you bring those tapes back to your machine...all the tracks will adjust in speed and pitch equally.

It would have to be a pretty obvious speed difference for it to mess with timbre and make things sound funny.

Tune to standard. Do your normal recording & tracking. Record some standard pitch tuning tones on the tape. Match tuning pitch with the Pitch control on the different machines using the tones recorded to tape for reference. Use a guitar tuner to measure pitch accuracy.

Easy. Problem solved.

1kHz?

I think a 1kHz test tone is too technical of a standard. We're not talking about calibration & alignment, we're talking about pitch matching on different machines.

I think if you put an A=440Hz tone from a keyboard on the beginning or tail end of the tape, would be adequate, then measure for pitch accuracy with a guitar tuner.

You're welcome.

I think a 1kHz test tone is too technical of a standard. We're not talking about calibration & alignment, we're talking about pitch matching on different machines.

1KHz is dead easy to come by, though. FWIW, the post was originally written to suggest he used a frequency counter to measure it. Then I realised that DMMs don't always have those, and amended the post slightly. That said, generating an A440 tone and using a tuner is probably a much better plan.

Back