Different headsets plays different sound, which one should i trust?

Julia Ko

I'm currently using 2 headsets when mixing my music. One is the headphone from the focusrite scarlett studio bundle, and the other one is simply a normal handsfree. When I play the same song I mixed, they play differently. When I was using the headphone, I thought it was okay. But when I used the handsfree, the vocal part became very fluffy and unclear. When I listen to other songs (like the ones from professional singers), this problem doesn't exist! Is it my problem in the setting of recording?

This is the song that confused me. It sounds right when I'm using my headphone instead of handsfree:
https://soundcloud.com/siu-man-ko/more-than-words-extreme-julia-cover

Thank you!

Hi,
You shouldn't trust either of them.

The biggest reason is probably stereo image. There's no bleed between left and right with headphones.
Imagine you were deaf in one ear. You'd still hear the output of two speakers (l+r), but you'd only hear one side of the headphones, see?

In terms of frequency response, I suppose you could probably find headphones that are close enough and get by using them, but it's always going to be a fight. There's no real substitute for good monitors in a treated environment, if translation and truth is what you're interested in.

For the hear and now your best bet is to pick some reference material that you know very well and listen to it a lot on your headphones.
Try to make notes on how things sound. Where is the bass? Are the highs harsh?
The idea is then to make your mix come across in the same way.

Like I say though, the last paragraph isn't advice you should focus on. Mixing on headphones isn't ideal.

Last edited:
Great advice. You just don't sound like Gary Cherone no matter what I listen through :laughings:
Seriously, you have a really pleasant voice. You chose a fairly difficult guitar piece and did a credible job. You have good source material, so what Steen says about mixing in headphones vs speakers in a good environment should make good sense to you. You have to hear the material honestly to make it play well across the spectrum from mono AM radio to audiophile headphone.
Remember that "honest" hearing has to do with not just the equipment, but the environment as well. If your speakers are great but your room hides mids and accentuates lows your mix will never sound right.

Also, remember that those professional recordings were probably made by people with combined decades of experience. When you get more proficient at mixing, your mixes will sound better on all sound sources. :)

Back