Differences between the Shure KSM series LDC's

Bassman Brad

Hi gang,

I'm in the process of putting together a small, PC-based recording set-up, and will need some more mics, particularly LDC's. I've been very interested in the Shure KSM series (i.e. the KSM-27, KSM-33, & KSM-44).

I've listened to the 3D Audio Mic test CD, which compares several mics on a male and female vocalist. Everything from a vintage Telefunken 251 (and a couple of modern copies of that mic) to a Royer 121 to an SM-57 to vintage AKG & Neumann mics. Very educational. (I also have some on-hands studio experience with a few of these mics, although the studio that I worked in [long ago] couldn't afford any of the real high end mics that are on this CD.) I like the KSM series, since it seems to be a very neutral sounding mic, which would be a good complement to so many of the other LDC's out there that seem to exaggerate the high frequencies.

My questions relate to the differences between the three mics in the series. It looks like these mics use the same diaphragm and are, basically, three variations of the same mic. The KSM-27 has one diaphram, The KSM-33 uses a dual diaphram, and the KSM-44 (which also uses two) gives you a choice of multiple polar patterns.

It seems to me that, since both the KSM-33 and the KSM-44 both use dual diaphrams (and the same design, too), they should sound identical when the KSM-44 is set to cardiod mode to match the KSM-33 (which is the only pattern available on the KSM-33). The only difference should come when you switch to a different pattern. Doesn't that make sense? And yet, when you do an A/B comparison between the mics, using the sampler CD (I have a very accurate playback system) they do sound identical on the female voice, but sound very different on the male voice. Not only does the KSM-44 have a bit more bass, but the high frequencies seem more pronounced, as well. Why would this be true? :confused: Do these two mics, in fact, use different capsules, despite the fact that they seem identical on paper? And what about the KSM-27? How would using only one diaphragm, instead of two, change the sound, compared to the KSM-33? (Unfortunately, the KSM-27 is not included on the Mic CD.)

Finally, it is my understanding that Shure does not sell these in matched sets for stereo recording. It seems like I read that somewhere in a recording magazine that did a review of these mics. Instead, Shure maintains such high quality control that, if you want a matched set, you just buy two of them. I seem to recall that the reviewer for that article took two identical mics from different production batches and put them on the bench and found that they DID, in fact, match. (Which impressed the heck out of the reviewer!) Can anybody confirm this? I'm considering a pair of KSM-27's (or KSM-33's), and would like to have them match.

Thanks for your input.
Brad

One of the reasons why is because the proximity effect is different with single diaphragm cartridges than with dual diaphragm cartridges.

All three of those mics are different and sound different... for example, the The KSM44 and KSM27 are true condenser mics... whereas the KSM32 is an electret mic. IMO, the KSM32 is more neutral sounding... the KSM27 is the brightest, and the KSM44 is my favorite of the three.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, DJL! :)

I guess that clears up why the two mics sounded different on the CD.

They don't sell matched pairs of any of these mics, correct?

Brad

If I'm not mistaken, the KSM32 also has a slightly smaller diaphragm than it's siblings.

Terry

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the KSm 27 and 44 shared the same design with the exception that the 44 has dual diaphragms which allow it the pattern switching. Basicvally that the 27 was a single diaphragm cardiod only version of its big brother the KSM 44.

The KSM 32 as I understood it has a medium sized diaphragm, and only one of them, so once again was cardiod only.

From what i can tell, the 27 and 44 would have a little more pronounced low and high end due to its diaphragm size (and of course design) where the 32 would be a little flatter (this can be both good and bad depending on the source you are trying to capture and what you want out of it). Basically the differences are similar to the contrast between a typical small diaphragm mic and a typical large diaphragm mic.

Of course I could be mistaken.

From the Shure website:

KSM-27
1 inch, externally biased (that means it's a "true condenser" and not an electret, right?), ultra-thin, 24 Karat gold-layered, low mass, Mylar® diaphragm provides superior transient response

KSM-33
Ultra-thin, gold-layered, low-mass, Mylar® diaphragm for excellent transient response (Doesn't give the diameter of the diaphragm. Could be a smaller diaphragm than the 27 & 44. Seems like I did read somewhere that this one was a "medium diaphragm" mic. The PDF manual says it's "permanently biased," which means an electret, right? - Which is just what DJL said. - It doesn't say anywhere that it has two diaphragms. Don't know where I got that idea.)

KSM-44
Dual 1-inch, externally biased, ultra-thin, 2.5 micron, 24-karat gold-layered, low mass, Mylar ® diaphragms provide superior transient response

So, it sounds like you're all correct.

So, if the 27 is identicle the the 44, except for the dual diaphragms (and the availability of multiple polar patterns made possible by this), then the KSM27 should sound identical to the KSM44 set to Cardiod mode, unless you got close enough for the proximity effect to kick in, right?

Yeah, that's helpful. Thanks, man.

Usually, when you find an audio product described on a site that sells the product, they just repeat verbatim what the company web site says. But this one adds some other material.

The lightbulb really went off when they mentioned combining the KSM-44 with a 27 (or 33) for M-S recording. Now THAT just might be the ticket, right there. And a whole lot cheaper than getting two KSM44's.

Thanks to all for your comments. :)
Brad

Bassman Brad said:
Thanks for the help, DJL! :)

I guess that clears up why the two mics sounded different on the CD.

They don't sell matched pairs of any of these mics, correct?
Brad
No, or at least I don't think so... but it wouldn't hurt to call Shure and ask, or use Harvey's matching system and match your own.
Bassman Brad said:
From the Shure w ebsite:

KSM-27
1 inch, externally biased (that means it's a "true condenser" and not an electret, right?), ultra-thin, 24 Karat gold-layered, low mass, Mylar® diaphragm provides superior transient response

KSM-33
Ultra-thin, gold-layered, low-mass, Mylar® diaphragm for excellent transient response (Doesn't give the diameter of the diaphragm. Could be a smaller diaphragm than the 27 & 44. Seems like I did read somewhere that this one was a "medium diaphragm" mic. The PDF manual says it's "permanently biased," which means an electret, right? - Which is just what DJL said. - It doesn't say anywhere that it has two diaphragms. Don't know where I got that idea.)

KSM-44
Dual 1-inch, externally biased, ultra-thin, 2.5 micron, 24-karat gold-layered, low mass, Mylar ® diaphragms provide superior transient response

So, it sounds like you're all correct.

So, if the 27 is identicle the the 44, except for the dual diaphragms (and the availability of multiple polar patterns made possible by this), then the KSM27 should sound identical to the KSM44 set to Cardiod mode, unless you got close enough for the proximity effect to kick in, right?
No... the KSM27 and KSM44 DON'T sound identical... the KSM27 is a brighter sounding mic. And yes... the externally biased mics are true condensers.
Bassman Brad said:
Thanks to all for your comments. :)
Brad
You're welcome. :)

Back