Difference in tubes (Microphones)

mrdanny

Hello, I've just bought an mxl v69 mogami edition, a tube mic, and some people criticize the tube that come's with it saying that it's a bad quality chinesse tube, what's the difference between a really good tube and a chinese one, I have low budget and want to know if it's worth to buy a good one.

"also if somebody have tests showing the difference between a good and bad tube I would be gratefull"

I know what tube it uses thank you anyway, but I just want to know if it's necessary to change the tube, and what upgrade to the sound it makes and if it's very significant

Well....for $20-$30 you can get one and find out. :)

Trying to describe what some other tube is going to sound like is mostly guesstimating.
I wouldn't hesitate swapping out a current Chinese made tube for something vintage....odds are good it will sound better, not worse...."significant"...?....well, it won't change the mic into something significantly different than what it already is.

If the mic works and isn't making any weird noises it's not necessary to change the tube.

The difference is lower self-noise, lower microphonics of the tube itself, much better quality control on NOS tubes; and much more consistent sound from tube to tube of the same type and manufacturer.

It's fairly likely that a NOS tube will sound a bit brighter in your mic than the Chinese OEM tube that came with it.

Avoid the Groove Tube Chinese "Mullard" re-issues they are shit. I had 3 out of 5 12AX7's that were microphonic right out of the box.

www.thetubestore.com - Your online source for audio vacuum tubes.

www.thetubestore.com - JAN-Philips 12AT7WC Audio Tubes

www.thetubestore.com - Mullard 12AT7WA / CV4024 Audio Tubes

www.thetubestore.com - RFT ECC81 / 12AT7 Audio Tubes

Back