Difference in Level Input? (Long)

Strumbone

I've done some tracking with an old Zoom PS-02 pocket recorder, using an old Nakamichi electret condenser mike, and was pleasantly surprised with the results. There is only one line input into the PS-02, and using a standard vocal effect with a little reverb, sounded great to me. The mike is a small diaphragm tube type (not vacuum tube :rolleyes:) that uses an internal AA battery. The signal level was good enough to pick up my acoustic guitar from ~8" away, and my vocals from a foot away.
Recently I sold the PS-02, and upgraded to a Zoom mrs-8. Yeah, I know I'm cheap and a rank amatuer, but I'm married with family, and music is just a hobby. :D Anyway, I'm still using the Nakamichi CM-100, now with the mrs-8, and there is a gain control on the input, as well as an input fader to set to 0dB to get the level correct. I'm having difficulty getting the level anywhere close to where it should be.
I've changed the mic's internal battery (no good), I've changed to the other input line on the back of the recorder (which has a funny looking jack, but there is no phantom power...the mrs-8 can even run on batteries)...no good. I've tried different effects, and they all work, but none really raise the level. When I adjust the gain at the input to wide open, I can make the clipping LED go off if I tap the windscreen, but on the VU scale on the display, the highest I get is around -12. Leaving the gain there, and switching to the built-in, internal mic of the Zoom unit, holy cow...I can hear the neighbors down the street! Well, you get the idea.
I guess my question is, both recorders are made by Zoom, and probably use the same cheap preamp circuitry, so why the difference in input level? I tried a track yesterday, and almost had the windscreen touching the fretboard, and for vocals, I have it close enough to lick it! Don't know if I should try a modern condenser mic (the Nakamichi was purchased to use with my old Tascam 244 in '83). If I tried that, I'd have to get one of those phantom power/xlr box adaptor/power supply things. Even then, I don't know if I could get the level close to 0db.
As I said, I'm only a rank amateur, who only records at home, no gigs, etc. I just don't see buying a Rode NT, or something that would cost me more than the multitrack recorder, but what other options do I have?

I apologize for being so long...I'll quit now. :o

The funny looking jack is a combined XLR / 1/4" input. You need to check the manual of the Zoom and see what the 1/4" input is if that is what you are using. It could be a much lower sensitivity input.

Anyway, you really want to use to connect is an XLR to XLR cable. That should fix your gain problem.

The funny looking jack will also take a std 1/4" jack...some sort of combo jack. Darn! I was afraid of that. Now I guess I'll have to get a new mic, along with one of the phantom power boxes. Anybody got such a rig laying around...no longer using...get rid of for decent price?

Anyway, thank you for the help...I appreciate it. :)

The funny looking jack will also take a std 1/4" jack...some sort of combo jack. Darn! I was afraid of that. Now I guess I'll have to get a new mic,

Why? Unless modified, the Nak should be XLR out. It just came supplied with an XLR- 1/4" cable. Get yourself a regular XLR mic cable, and you should be fine.

Hey, now I like that option! I'm sure I can get one of those locally. Thank you sir. I see you're from the outer banks...I've spent some pleasant time in Duck, Corolla, etc. ;)

For grins and poo poo, I just read the Nak manual, and you are absolutely correct! It states that the standard xlr to phone plug is supplied to be used with the Nak cassette deck unbalanced input line (of the day back in early 80's) naturally. However, a full xlr cable can be used for a balanced input. I'll go get one today, and we'll see what that does for it. Thanks again. :D

Back