Difference between Vs160 and vf16??

They are very much the same. The upgrades have different numbers. They are about the same size... I wish I didn't have all the gear needed for the VF16. SCSI Jazz drive and USB SCSI interface, Plextor external CDR. The VF160 is a nice package with the burner.

Jim

Not the harddrive but the CDRW. The VF-160 is merely a face lift model of VF-16 with the option of having an internal CDRW burner. And as with almost all face lift models the original looks better. At least here in Europe the price difference between 16 and 160 /w CDRW is so big that if you find a used VF-16 or some retailer has old stock left it hardly makes sense to buy a VF-160 just because there's the option for internal CDRW. Looking at those US prices of VF-160s /w the burner the case seems to be totally different. BTW, Is there some local taxes or some other additional costs you guys have to pay on top of the listed price? Here in EU the price is always listed including all the taxes.

Fancy seeing you here Pete!! well the Prices Im seeing for the Fostex and other equipment are prices on Musiciansfriend.com and Music123.com etc when ordering you typically dont pay taxes. Right now alot of these internet stores are having to compete and they also having free shipping on most items over $199, which is cool because they base the shipping price on the sticker price on the item your buying.

Also Pete are the pre's that bad on the VF like that darren guy is saying in the other forum?

Honestly I don't know because I don't have experience of really pro quality pres. I'm just a guitar player not a recording engineer and the stuff that I've managed to record sounds pretty good to me. I wouldn't be too concerned about the pres because Fostex has been around for decades and I suspect that if their stuff would be junk they'd be out of business by now. BTW, there's an increasing number of 8 channel preamps with Adat interfaces on the market that you can use with VF if at some stage find the Fostex's pres unusable. I'm almost postive that with some other digital multitracker in this price range you'll hit the limits of them much sooner that with VF.

The preamps on nearly any budget board will be an area of compromise. You can pay all outdoors for external preamps; the going rate for our market is around a bundred bucks a channel. The next price point (Grace Audio) is about $500 / channel, and the one after that (Avalon) is about $1,000 - per channel. Neve preamps - pulled from the 1970s decks - are available rebuilt at about $1400 a channel. Crazy. Kind of like looking at boats; as soon as you know anything about them, you know you can't afford it.

How about just going for the unit and keeping in mind that the M- Audio preamps can be had about $35.00 a channel? Hard to beat that, and if you want to upgrade to preamps later, you can on a safe budget. I just might do the same...

Back