Difference between Sabian HH and HHX (and beginner advice)?

ap

Is one considered better? All I can figure is HHx has more "projection," whatever the hell that means.

I'm looking for all the basic cymbals- hats, couple crashes, ride, splash- strictly for recording, will never be gigged, but will hopefully cover some differents styles, mostly "rock" generally speaking, but can go anywhere from folkish, jazzy, punk, heavy.

I kinda decided on the HH series in the basically thin variety. I've done alot of searching here to get this far. Please help a non-drummer out with ANY advice you can give me as far as size, thickness, brand, hardware choices, etc. THANKS!

I use HH thin crashes in 12', 14', 15', 16', 17' & 18'. I also have HH splashes in 8" & 10" as well as a 20" HH Duel ride & an 18" HH Flat ride (I was at the Sabian factory a couple of years back and I got a little carried away).

I've recorded them alot (not all at once - I use whichever cymbals work best for a given project) - mostly in jazz, fusion and funk styles - no metal, punk recording. The HH record very well, a very "controlled" sound.

The HHX came out after the original HH and were marketed as more of a live "rock" cymbal (more projection basic means they are "brighter sounding" to cut through a mix better. This is need live, but not really preferred in recording.

The HH were designed to be a "warmer" cymbal more suited to jazz (and as I said a very controlled sound in the studio). I'm very happy with my HH series (and I own about 30 cymbals, some off which are very "vintage" Zildjians).

Thanks for responding, mikeh. You've confirmed my suspicions about the HHX. Sabians website is very confusing and vague.

Most sources I've seen say dark cymbals are better for recording. Is this true for most any style? With what kind of cymbals would say, Metallica, probably record?

BTW, an aquaintence and purist type, vintage drum lovin', jazzish, jam band drummer says he knows a guy that will sell an "Istanbul" ride for $250. He says it costs around $700 and I should jump on it. Any thoughts on that?

It is difficult to guess at what cymbals Lars from Metallica (or any drummer) would use recording. Most drummers have different cymbals within a given manufactuer (such as Sabian HH mixed with AA's etc.). Often they may mix and match different manufacturers - to get the sound they want (even if they endorse a specific company in live shows). In addition, there are several "rental companies" (such as Russ Garfield "The Drum Doctor" who are hired to bring different drums/cymbals into the studio).

I know that Lars endorses Zildjian and uses several Z's live - however his recording rig may be completely different.

I've never been one to study who plays what, since each players style and technique has as much if not more impact on sound - and naturally a recorded sound is also affected by room sound, mic's, processing, etc.

As a general rule "darker" cymbals (such as Sabian HH or Zildjian K's) do tend to record well (for most applications). I have found cymbals that are too bright are difficult to record well. I believe (in particular in recording) that cymbal sounds should be a subtle "background color" which enhances rather than dominates the recording.

Istanbul cymbals tend to be warm - but with any cymbal (or any instrument) the bottom line is to trust your ears!!! Since I don't know anything about this particular Istanbul, I can't offer any thoughts - other than to say I have a very hard time believing someone paid $700 (maybe suggested retail is $700) but in over 30 years of buying (and selling) gear, I've never seen a cymbal actually sell for $700. It may be a great sounding cymbal - but that would be like spending $4000 on a guitar when you can get very good guitars for $600-$1,000. That being said - $250 may be a fair price - if you like the sound.

As a general rule a top line ride cymbal (say a 20" or a 22") from the main companies (Zildjian, Sabian & Paiste) run about $250 new. Top line crashes normally range from maybe $120 - $180 depending on size. A pair of top line high hit cymbals should run around $250 for a pair.

I would never pay more than $300 for any cymbal (unless it had significant collector value).

In any case, good luck with whatever you end up getting.

As an old geezer who has bought and sold a lot of drum gear let me toss in my 2 cents. Forget about brand names and who plays what and let your ears be your guide. Buy from a store that will allow you to return any item you dont like (git centr) because what you hear in the showroom may not be what you hear at home. Get them home and record them, then decide if there a keeper or go back shopping. How much they cost does not always dictate how good they will sound. I just recorded a local high school band and was amazed how good this kids Sabian B8 Pro ride sounded on the recording! Used cymbals are also a deal if you can find ones that give you the sound you a looking for. I have cymbals that are 20 years old that still sound great. Good luck.

Back