Difference between recording POD mono or stereo?

axeshredder

Is it better to record a POD in stereo or mono? The only difference i noticed with MONO is that when you pan the track a little to the left the volume drops more significantly on the right as oppose to stereo,it would pan left (same difference) but not lose as much volume on the right?
What are the pro's and cons of doing this? Is any tone being lost by recording in mono???

Thanks

It really depends on the song and the what sound you are trying to achieve. In a sparse song I sometimes use the pod in stereo and use some of it's 'emulation' to get a certain sound.

For busier songs/arrangements, for instance doubling a rhythm track or lead track I record them in mono. Main reason being that the benefits tend to get lost when recording a bunch of stereo doubled tracks. Plus track management is easier when dealing with 4 mono's instead of 4 stereo pairs.

"The only difference i noticed with MONO is that when you pan the track a little to the left the volume drops more significantly on the right as oppose to stereo,it would pan left (same difference) but not lose as much volume on the right?"

Lost me a bit here, but if you are recording the pod in stereo, ie two seperate tracks, then you end up with two pan options in your recording software. A pan control for each of the two pod outputs. With the two tracks panned hard left / hard right, then you are in the 'ultimate' stereo sound. You can achieve different degrees of volume and positioning in the stereo field by panning left pod signal a bit more to center, or viceversa. If you put them both dead center, then you are back to mono. EQ'ing / effecting the left or right channel differently can also achieve some interesting results. Same thing of course, can be done with doubled mono tracks, usually panned opposite or at least enough apart to be useful.

Back