difference between at3035 vs at4040

countrylac

Does anybody really notice the difference between these two mics other than the bass rolloff switch on the 4040? I never use it anyway (I always use the bass cut on my preamps). The frequency response curve looks about the same on both and in my opinion they sound about the same, although the 4040 does seem louder on cheaper preamps. Or am I the only one who can't hear a huge difference in the two?

The 3035 has a bass rolloff switch too. Other then that, I have nothing to add has I have never used a 4040.

Big Kenny said:
3035 is kinda thin where the 4040 is fuller in the mids and low mids, I prefer the ADK Hamburg over both
Have you compared the Hamburg to the Vienna? The promo's say the Vienna has more "sparkle". I just wonder how that translated relative to the Hamburg which is supposedly more transparent. When I hear "sparkle" I think SP C1 which I already have.

Thanks for the comments, Big Kenny I know what you mean. The 4040 does sound a bit fuller, but in my experience the difference is subtle when used with higher end preamps. I've heard similar results with the ADK line of mics.

Back