DierctX 8.1 not detected and Sonar

Scooter B

I am trying to install a demo version of Sonar 2.0 that came with my AW16G.

When installing I got a DirectX 8.1 not detected (and obviously required by Sonar 2.0).

So I downloaded DirectX8.1 twice and installed it several times but I still get this message when I try to install the Sonar 2.0 Demo.

What's up? Any computer whizzes here?

I am running Windows 98 PIII, 450 MHZ and should have plenty of RAM.

This is so much the reason I went with the stand alone DAW instead of a PC based DAW but I would like to take advantage of some PC possibilities since I do have the PC at my disposal.

with respect that computer is pretty old.
but you should be able to do 16 or so tracks if your hard drive is decent.
what OS are you running and how much memory. ?
also what sound card do you have ? or are you using on board sound ?
also could you do a test for me - if your on high speed ?
download powertracks from pgmusic.com that i use and up in the menus it will tell you how many tracks you can run. it would help to know this.
i'm a puter engr. will try and help.
also how many hard drives ? and please tell me if they are dma enabled.
my suspicion at this point is you cant run because you have an older windows OS. are you running an old version of 95 for example ?

by the way. with respect many people are running successfull standalone daws based on the pc. some running 40 to 150 tracks.
with the proviso that its a fast recent computer that is set up properly.
but i'll try my best to help you running at least 16 tracks on that pc of yours . just be patient and bear with me.

Thanks Manning;

I really don't need but 4-8 tracks from the PC. I am mostly working on the Yamaha AW16G wich is in another room from the PC. The PC has elcheapo monitors that came with the PC and not suitable for any serious audio mixing but with headphones hopefully I can tweak some decent drum and keyboard fills.

From the PC I mainly just need to use FL Studio wich has quite few tracks available for drums and some keyboard parts and send to the G

OS Window 98
Sound Card Echo Darla 24/96
Sound Blaster 64 for MIDI in and out

I only have 56k modem but I can post the results from an FL Studio diagnostic that should have most of the other information you might need about my PC:

System test results
You are running Microsoft Windows 98, version 4.10
You have the following servicepack installed:
Windows is installed in "C:\WINDOWS\"
The program files location is "C:\Program Files\"
Your system has 1 processor
The cpu is a running at 449MHz
You have 319MB physical and 2044MB virtual memory
You have 1 monitor set to 32bit color for a desktop resolution of 800x600 pixels
You have administrator privileges

You have DirectX 8.1 installed
DirectX reported version 4.08.01.0881
You have 11 DirectSound devices
Primary Sound Driver
Creative SBPCI Direct Sound Driver
Darla24 Out 3/4
Darla24 Out 5/6
Darla24 Out 7/8
Game Compatible Device (emulated)
Voice Modem Wave #00 Line (emulated)
Darla24 Out 1/2
Darla24 3/4 Analog Playback (emulated)
Darla24 5/6 Analog Playback (emulated)
Darla24 7/8 Analog Playback (emulated)
You have 3 DXi softsynths and 7 DX effects installed

ASIO test results
1 ASIO device was found
1. Echo Gina/Darla/Layla
It has 2 input channels and 8 output channels
The following samplerates are supported:
44100Hz
48000Hz
96000Hz

I did find out that my Sonar Demo is only supposed to be good for 30 days...I thought it was a free demo limited version but evidentally it is just a thirty day test drive and then I have to buy it or reinstal the demo.

This may not be worth the effort as I am not spending $600 or $700 on software anytime soon. Right now I just need to be able to program some drums and keyboard fills to go to my stand alone DAW for mixing.

Sonar 2 has a problem with installing when you have a more recent DirectX than 8.1... Cakewalk's web site has the tool to install sonar 2.0

Lapieuvre

Back