Did you teach yourself how to play drums?

I took lessons for 3 years with Fred Begun of the NSO. I started on snare drum (using Podemski's Snare Drum Method book, which is a standard), then move to tympani, and finally drum kit. The snare method was excellent for learning how to stay in tempo. I only learned the basics of the kit with Fred. Everything I've learned how to do since then has been experimentation, imitation, and practice practice practice. But learning the basics first is essential. You gotta crawl before you can walk.

Last edited:
The Hardest lesson in life

PhilGood said:
I was self taught when I first started out. Ever hear of the theory of "hills and plateaus"? You get better, improve, then stay the same for a long time before you discover something new, then climb the next hill. Then you stall for a while until that next big discovery. It goes and goes and goes.

If you're self taught you will only get so far before you stagnate and can't progess beyond that point. The most progess you can make is to learn directly from someone who does better than you. Get lessons. LEARN! You can try to emulate, but you'll never learn how to do it unless you learn HOW to do it!!

You don't really have to learn to read music (try throwing a chart in front of today's "professional" drummers and watch them run to a corner and cower!), but you should be aware of what note values are, time signatures, counting and RUDIMENTS! Rudiments will FREE you!!!! You don't even really have to understand them, but they will expand your abilities and creative expression more than you will ever be able to by just figuring it out on your own. Its like someone who grows up as a hillbilly and then has to give a speach in front of congress.

Rudiments are the language we speak and the better your vocabulary, the better you will be able to express your feelings and "emote" yourself in the music!!

Learn, my son! But learn well!!!

We are not just drummers! WE ARE MUSICIANS!!

Thats Awesome!

I remembered Scott Rockenfield saying how he took a break to work on more of the video aspect.When he came back 6 months later,He was fresh.
I did this in a part of my life and it was like starting all over again.
The things I was working on slowly came back in a new way! :)
When I got serious a few years ago I bought a Marching Snare and Quints,
Along with my kit stacked in a corner :p
I try to be more of a pecussionist than a drummer :D
RUDIMENTS Rudiments rudiments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dive in

Great info in the replies above!

I taught myself by playing along with the radio and records as a kid. I used to listen very closely to the songs with headphones and try to hear exactly what the drums were doing and try to emulate that.

Over the years I've picked up on a lot by watching others play, and expanding the type of music I listen to. I discovered that you can learn something from everybody, especailly what NOT to do.

Cheers, Rez

Another vote for getting a teacher

I was self taught for the first 5 years I played, and I agree with a lot of the info above. It's tough to learn new things to play, and eventually you just get kinda stale because you'll stick with playing only the musical style that you feel more comfortable with (we all want to nail every song, right?!!)

Getting a teacher, learning rudiments, learning the proper values of notes and how to count is an EXTREMELY important step, but what else might you want from a teacher? How about someone that will push you towards styles that you never played before? I was an 80's rock kid that couldn't stand jazz or anything else for that matter. My teacher started with some Joe Cocker, then Jean Luc Ponty, and before you know it Chick Corea's Electrik Band and Count Basie are playing in my car 24/7.

Being fluent in more than one style will help you get more gigs, and it will also make you a more rounded player. Right now, I only play in a rock band, but a lot of what I add to our originals comes from the things I was coaxed into loving years ago. Learning different styles, by a teacher that can properly train you in those styles, will DEFINITELY help to set you apart from the rest of the pack!

Back