Did I hit the Pink Floyd button with "Heaven"?

No, you didn't even hit the broad side of the Pink Floyd barn with this one....well maybe that cheesy "Division Bell" stuff from the 90s, but I don't really know, never having listened to that album. The problem is that there is no "Pink Floyd button". They were a rock band and wrote songs, and part of their magic was in the way their songs progressed, the lyrics, the mood etc. This kinda lacks those qualities and comes off as basically a bunch of fake instruments acting as a canvas for some guitar wankery. You're relying too heavily on those cheesy dated synth pads for "atmosphere" rather than creating it with the arrangement. Also the bass is just playing a supporting role... it needs to explore more and the notes need room to breathe.

I personally think PF did their most creative stuff before DSOTM. But creating that style of music takes real immersion and love for it, and it takes years to perfect. You can't effectively imitate it on a whim any more than you can punk, metal, reggae, whathaveyou. Mix wise, it's ok for what it is I guess. Good luck.

Last edited:
No, you didn't even hit the broad side of the Pink Floyd barn with this one....well maybe that cheesy "Division Bell" stuff from the 90s, but I don't really know, never having listened to that album. The problem is that there is no "Pink Floyd button". They were a rock band and wrote songs, and part of their magic was in the way their songs progressed, the lyrics, the mood etc. This kinda lacks those qualities and comes off as basically a bunch of fake instruments acting as a canvas for some guitar wankery. You're relying too heavily on those cheesy dated synth pads for "atmosphere" rather than creating it with the arrangement. Also the bass is just playing a supporting role... it needs to explore more and the notes need room to breathe.

I personally think PF did their most creative stuff before DSOTM. But creating that style of music takes real immersion and love for it, and it takes years to perfect. You can't effectively imitate it on a whim any more than you can punk, metal, reggae, whathaveyou. Mix wise, it's ok for what it is I guess. Good luck.

Thanks for your comments. BTW, you should listen to "Division Bell" before you knock it! I guess if Pink Floyd isn't worthy of your ears then God help anyone! LOL

Thanks for your comments. BTW, you should listen to "Division Bell" before you knock it! I guess if Pink Floyd isn't worthy of your ears then God help anyone! LOL

If Pink Floyd lived in our town and we both had a party on the same night, they would totally come to mine and not yours. :)

Seriously? Pink Floyd? What part of your song compares to what part of any Pink Floyd song? I'm not hearing it at all. I don't mean to be harsh, but don't set yourself up for such unrealistic comparisons.

Sounded decent. No Floyd vibe for me. Maybe slightly in the intro, but that's it.

Bass might be a little rumbly. Might want to check that.

I liked the "backwards tape" sounds at around 2:59. I think the song needs more stuff like that. With an instrumental at 4+ minutes, it needs some change ups.

Luke, I thought you'd vanished ;-) the track seemed to tumble down without you being in this part of the forum. I've already commented on a version of this track, but have further suggestions if you intend pursuing the Floyd vibe. You might want to dip into how progressions impart feeling through their associated melodies and how resolving a progression and applying relative minor intervals can be used to imply mood and impart that upon the listener. Have you noticed how some Floyd compositions will have a repetitive melody which will on its final execution rise or fall to a major or minor interval as it reaches a transition or plods on to the next set of phrasings? To re create something or have a track convey in a similar way to another artist, you need to know what musical methodology is employed. Keep at it.

Tim

I hope I didn't come off as excessively negative here, for what it is it's not a bad mix. It's just nowhere close to the level of sophistication that I would expect from someone who posts something claiming to "sound like Pink Floyd". I think comparisons are best left to the listener. Don't try to sound like anyone. Try to sound like "LukeSteele" or "Lu" or whatever your name is. Don't worry about your influences - if it's something you love it will show.

Thanks for your comments Tim. I'll take them onboard next time I write something similar to "Heaven". I guess I got a bit excited comparing it to the mighty PF..lol but these days if you don't compare yourself to someone famous, how is anyone going to know any idea of where you're coming from as far as likes/influences go? Onwards! Cheers, Lu :)

Hi fat_fleet, thanks for your comments and for listening. Updates on "Heaven" as follows: Tribe91.1FM in Adelaide, are giving it plenty of airplay according to their DJ MammaJ, who loves the song.

I've put up another version of "Heaven" that is just out right rockier and I think does capture some of Gilmour's playing style in the lead-break ( ducking for cover now) lol...

https://soundcloud.com/pentultima/heaven
Comments welcome as always. Cheers, Lu :)

Back