Did I get cheated? Anyone familiar with SM58 guts?

policenauts03

Hey, so recently I bought an SM58 from someone a couple days ago, dirty cheap. Today I tested it and the mic doesn't work. I unscrew the middle of the mic to look at the capsule, and see that one of the wires isn't soldered. But wait, it says Mexico on the pot, and I unscrew my other SM58 and SM57s and see that it doesn't say so on theirs. And then, there are three wires (a green, yellow, and black one) going to three different connectors on this 58, while on my others there are only a green and yellow wire going to two connectors. In the picture below, the solder connector at about 12:00 is the one that is supposed to have the yellow wire going to it, but it's disconnected here. Did I get a bum 58? Is it possible that he changed out the capsule and stuck in a piece of shit inside? Thanks!!

DSCF0130.jpg

p.s. sorry about the quality of my digicam, and the crotch shot.

Over the past 20 years or so, Shure has moved a lot more of their manufacturing to Mexico. And FWIW, I disassembled one of my church's SM58s to repair the connector. It's probably about five years old or so. It, too, had three wires running to the connector. Such a design change could explain why their SM58s don't act like giant hum factories, while the ones I used to use back in high school did....

Bottom line, it's probably a real SM58....

Back