Did I get a good deal on this bass?

leavings

Hi all,

I have been looking for a recording bass for a while - something with good direct tone, since I don't play bass live. I was in my local music shop for strings and tried this 5-string by The Bass Company, which I hadn't heard of before.

Bass.jpg

The tone is nice, and the price seemed all right, but I couldn't find much about the company online. In particular, I couldn't find other similar basses for sale, so I wanted to consult the board to see if folks think I paid a reasonable price. They gave me until Tuesday to decide if I'm satisfied with it. Have yet to finish testing it in the studio.

Again, it's a 5-string TBC, handcrafted in the USA, spalted maple top, with used hard case for about $450 after tax. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Nah mate, the manufacturer stuffed up on that model. It's suppose to have four strings! They decided to call it a five string but it was originally under spec for 4 and the engineering Dept. mucked up the conversion between metric and imperial.

So you're saying I got a mutant bass? Does that make it a worse deal?

To answer Guitargod, yes it has active electronics. I'm not that knowledgeable about pickups, so I can't identify what they are. They sound good though.

Nah mate, the manufacturer stuffed up on that model. It's suppose to have four strings! They decided to call it a five string but it was originally under spec for 4 and the engineering Dept. mucked up the conversion between metric and imperial.

Actually, no joke my 5 string feel like this. I can't get the lowest string's intonation right either. But it was a cheapo so I'm ok with it.

Hey, if you can handle a 5th string and it makes for a good bass arrangement all things are good in the world.
With my 5 string I have to do SO much thinking & focus so heavily on the fact that the extra string is there that I end up with a substandard line & performance.
I tried to convert mine to an E A D G B instead of B E A D G so that I wouldn't have to think so much but it couldn't handle the tension or lack thereof.
Net result: I play one of my 4 strings - semi acoustic wall shaker with flat wound strings or solid bodied toppy/growly round wound.

Upon further review

I agree with you about the 5th string. I thought I needed it, but it's just in the way. Returning bass shortly...

Really?

I guess I've been playing them for so long it doesn't bother me at all. I actually prefer them most of the time over a 4, but I suppose the feeling might be weird for some.

Hey, if you can handle a 5th string and it makes for a good bass arrangement all things are good in the world.
With my 5 string I have to do SO much thinking & focus so heavily on the fact that the extra string is there that I end up with a substandard line & performance.
I tried to convert mine to an E A D G B instead of B E A D G so that I wouldn't have to think so much but it couldn't handle the tension or lack thereof.
Net result: I play one of my 4 strings - semi acoustic wall shaker with flat wound strings or solid bodied toppy/growly round wound.
5 strings are the shit!
I played 4 strings for 35 years before getting a 5 and now I'd never go back.

First ...... simply being able to play the low E on the fifth fret is enough reason to have one without even using any of the lower notes.

Here's how you make the transition:
When you first start playing a 5 string do NOT play anything at all on the 5th string ...... NOTHING! Got it?
You use that 5th string as a thumbrest ..... think of it as a thumbrest .... USE it as a thumbrest ...... never even so much as think of it as a string .... just a thumbrest ..... do that until you're 100% comfortable with being able to play the 4 strings as well as you can on a regular bass.
It will take different amounts of time to get to that point. For me it took a week or two but some people may take months. Regardless of how long it takes ...... don't use the 5th string for anything but a thumbrest until you get to that point.
Once you're there ..... you won't get confused anymore.
At that point start occassionally playing the low E on the 5th fret of the 5th string instead of the open 4th string.
You'll be surprised how many patterns are way easier doing this.

It won't be long before you start frequently using that instead of the open 4th string.
Once you get comfortable with that you can start adding the other lower notes to your repertroire.

I guess if all you ever use a bass for is occassional recording then it may not be worth the effort, especially since you won't play it enough to make the transition.
But if you're a bass player ....... it's absolutely worth it and eventually you'll wonder, as I do, how any modern bass player could choose to limit himself to 4 strings.

I feel naked without my 5th string. So many opportunities to go deeper when I can drop below what the guitars are doing. I own five 5-stringers, only one 4-stringer. I always prefer my 5-stringers.

Some people got the knack for it, some don't.

I feel naked without my 5th string. So many opportunities to go deeper when I can drop below what the guitars are doing. I own five 5-stringers, only one 4-stringer. I always prefer my 5-stringers.

Some people got the knack for it, some don't.
ditto about 5s vs 4s.

..... and if they use my transition method anyone will get the hang of it.

There is quite alot of info online, this is a well regarded company, however I think what you have is about $200 too much...
have a look at his web site he'll do you a new one for 300 :) TBC The Bass Company Handcrafted Electric Bass Guitars

I didn't search myself, but looks like he's going out of business, with everything left in inventory at $200 for 4-strings and $300 for 5 strings. Nothing that indicates it's more than 1 guy making them.

5 strings? Pfffft, 6 is where it's at! XD

5 strings are the shit!
I played 4 strings for 35 years before getting a 5 and now I'd never go back.

First ...... simply being able to play the low E on the fifth fret is enough reason to have one without even using any of the lower notes.

Here's how you make the transition:
When you first start playing a 5 string do NOT play anything at all on the 5th string ...... NOTHING! Got it?
You use that 5th string as a thumbrest ..... think of it as a thumbrest .... USE it as a thumbrest ...... never even so much as think of it as a string .... just a thumbrest ..... do that until you're 100% comfortable with being able to play the 4 strings as well as you can on a regular bass.
It will take different amounts of time to get to that point. For me it took a week or two but some people may take months. Regardless of how long it takes ...... don't use the 5th string for anything but a thumbrest until you get to that point.
Once you're there ..... you won't get confused anymore.
At that point start occassionally playing the low E on the 5th fret of the 5th string instead of the open 4th string.
You'll be surprised how many patterns are way easier doing this.

It won't be long before you start frequently using that instead of the open 4th string.
Once you get comfortable with that you can start adding the other lower notes to your repertroire.

I guess if all you ever use a bass for is occassional recording then it may not be worth the effort, especially since you won't play it enough to make the transition.
But if you're a bass player ....... it's absolutely worth it and eventually you'll wonder, as I do, how any modern bass player could choose to limit himself to 4 strings.

That's pretty much what I did when I got my 5. Mainly cos all I knew were songs I'd been playing on 4. =P With my huge hands, it feels a lot better to grip too. Also never gonna look back at another 4 string. In fact, looking up to getting a 6 string next. But I'll probably still keep with those 5ers at the same time.

Back