Did I brick my USB to MIDI cable? Can I fix it?

Thundersn0w

I bought a generic MIDI to USB cable so I could interface my old Rock Band keyboard with my PC and do music things. (this one) I plugged everything in and tried to test it in Ableton. It showed up in the MIDI devices as USB2.0-MIDI, and would turn on fine, but Ableton didn't get a signal from the keyboard. I tried reinstalling drivers among other things that I can't remember very clearly and couldn't get it to work. Eventually I tried uninstalling the device from device manager and I seem to have bricked the cable. It shows up as Unknown Device under the USB heading and sometimes even shows up under the COM/LPT ports as a usb to serial adapter. I can't get it to show up at all on other PCs. Is it possible I've damaged the hardware in the cable? Is there any way I can fix it?

I had one of these just stop working recently for no reason, I bought another one and it worked fine???

However as this is a new one, the problem could be that the computer has forgotten what it is, plug it in and go into the install new device within the control panel (or where ever it is now) and see if the computer can re-learn what it is.

Alan.

I have a midi controller that has USB and Midi outputs.

The USB provided power as well as transferring midi data.

Some time ago, it stopped transmitting, even though it was all lit up.

So I plugged in a midi cable from it to my firepod, and was able to get midi data that way.

In a spare moment, I decided to investigate. I discovered that the keyboard's USB connection to the circuit board was loose, and in fact the solder connections had broken. A quick re-solder, and everything was happy again.

Maybe there is a mechanical problem associated with the midi socket?

Back