Did I break it or already damaged? Help...

ssseals

I just got an M-Audio Octane (off ebay) to go along with my Profire 2626, ADAT connection. I had some sync problems up at first, until I adjusted sample rates to match, then it was fine as I played mp3s while working around the studio (didn't even record anything yet).

About a half hour later, the Octane stopped working & now the ADAT light on the back of the Octane isn't even on. Obviously, the Profire can't see it if the ADAT output isn't working. Mic pres/inserts are still showing signal, just no output.

My question is whether or not something I did possibly caused this? Although the only thing I did was change sample rates. Could sample rates cause the ADAT light to stop working?

I'm really beating myself up over it, but I don't see how it's my fault & just a faulty 'bay purchase (which I'm beating myself up over anyway).

Thanks in advance.

Well, I hooked up my ADAT XT20 up through the lightpipe the exact same way that I had the Octane & everything seems fine. Looks like I'm not crazy. Anything I'm overlooking?

have you done anything with regard to trouble shooting yet?

because with info so far it's impossible to weight in with opinion

yes, it could be defective item

yes, it is possible you did something that 'broke' something in the chain

though if it is not defective it is more probable that you simply have an interconect (hard and/or soft) problem (then that you broke something)

but prior to going down the list of potential things that could produce symptoms it would be helpful to know more

I troubleshot the whole night last night. Switched sample rates, cables, turned on in different order, master/slave settings, reinstalled drivers, etc...

The Profire 2626 still works fine on it's own, so that tells me a little.

But at this point, the red light doesn't even come on when you look at the lightpipe connection on the back of the Octane preamp. When I turn on the Octane, the lightpipe light blinks, then immediately goes off.

On every other piece of gear that has a lightpipe connection, the "out" jack is lit up as soon as I turn the unit on & stays on the entire time.

And really, I can't imagine what I could have done to damage it. Earlier in the day I plugged a mic into a channel & tried out the send/return with a compressor, everything's fine. Unplugged stuff to rearrange in rack, plugged back up, fine, listen to music for about half an hour & it stops.

Back