Did E-MU break my computer? ;)

ermghoti

I just eBayed an AMD 3000 XP with 2G RAM, 100 and 200G HDs, a MSI mobo (haven't jotted down the model), running XP Pro and Sonar 5 PE. It also had a E-MU 0404, while I planned to get a Multiface. I fiddled around with Sonar with the 0404, and found that Sonar, E-MU, and WDM do not play nice together, making constant fart noises. ASIO is fine. Of course, ASIO also means no chance at all of running both cards, so the 0404 is history.

I removed the drivers, powered down, swapped the cards, and powered back up. The E-MU contol software was still there, so I brought up the add/remove menu, but it would just shutdown the uninstaller, "uninstaller.exe or something encountered a problem and is closing." I manually deleted any of the files I could find, System restored acouple times to try rmoving the software, then the driver, but no matter what, when I reboot, I get the shortcut to the non-existant E-MU program, and regardless of what I try, uninstaller won't work.

Installing the Multiface was a little exciting, I ended up having to connect to the Net to download a driver.

Anyway, it seems like I am using more CPU on the same project (12% vrs 6% for 10 tracks eq-ed), at the same buffer settings with the RME, which surprises me greatly, since it is supposed to reduce CPU load. Should I be looking somewhere for gremlins, or do I probably just have a lower latency setting somewhere? Is the RME program using more resources than the E-MU, and adding more tracks will not hit as hard?

This is a Little off Subject but there is a 3rd Party ASIO driver that works with most Cards that should let you run 2 Different Cards in ASIO Mode at the Same Time...I tried it with my Delta 44 and my Integrated Sound and it worked accept that since my Integrated sound Sucks the audio Quality comeing from the Integrated sound sucked....

The Driver is Called "ASIO4All v2.0" and it is freeware and works with most all Sound Cards....

Cheers

You might try installing the cards in reverse order, that might clear up the problem. Computers can be very finnicky, even a different slot might render different results. It is a longshot, but you never know. Just experiment around with different options. Another idea is to have another computer setup on a network that you can just save the file to for listening purposes, which is what I do. It can be any old computer with a decent sound card and good speakers. I setup mine to network wirelessly, so I just save the wav files onto that computer to play them back, or post on the internet, or whathaveyou. I like to keep my recording rig off the world-wide web, if ya know what I mean.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I did some recording last night, and the CPU usage seemed the same as with the 0404, so I may have messed up a latency setting on the last project I had open. I think I'm OK there.

I really don't care too much about getting both cards running simultaneously, the CW forums indicate that the 0404 and Sonar are barely on speaking terms, and the guy I bought the computer from told me the 0404 crashed windows, and he had to reboot in safe mode and install a d/l-ed driver or some such to get it to work, so the hassle is not woth four inputs to me.

If I could get the bits of leftover E-MU software removed, I would be pretty happy. No big deal.

See if both projects were running at the same sample rate and depth, if one was at 24bit and the other at 16, that would explain it

Back