Diary of Jane cover - Hard rock mix

FadeToMuffins

Guitars were ESP Alexi 600 -> Nick Crow 7170 sim -> Recabinet Impulses
Bass was some cheap pos -> TSE BOD plugin
Vocals were me -> MXL V67 -> Toneport UX2
Drums were Steven Slate drums.

(If anyone knows this song and wants to contribute actual drum tracks, that would be AWESOME :-D)

Basically I did this for fun. I wanted some singing practice and some mixing practice. I was trying to go for that David Bendeth/Chris Lord-Alge thick, hard rock style SSL-smashed mix.

Let me know what you think!

Sounds really awesome dude! A few tweaks and it will be great! Great bass tone, don't change it. That TSE BOD plug in works very well for this kind of stuff. I use it too. There's a lot of bass in this mix. I think a high pass filter on the guitars, bass, and kick drum would help the tone and the mix. If that doesn't work out, you can try throwing one on your master track. Your singing/screaming fits nicely. I did notice the huge amount of compression on it though. A trick I use it to even stuff out but make it transparent is to use two compressors. The first one should just be knocking down the peaks a bit, and the second should be pushed a tiny bit more to kill the dynamics.

I'm listening to it again now. There is something strange going on with the guitars. Definitely too much bass, but it sounds like there is too much ring out. In those chuggy parts with the harmonics after them, you can try gating the guitars or cutting out the noise in between. Other than that, I think you're good to go.

P.S. Check out the free amp sim Lecto. http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/2010/10/lecto.html In my opinion, it sounds much better than the Nick Crow plugins.

You are a one-man wrecking crew - this rocks! I'd like to hear you do an original in this style. I'm a fan of SSD, so I think they sounded pretty good. Gtrs sound good, I gotta try that plugin, but they might have been a touch loud or harsh - something slightly fatigued my ear by the end - I might be high :). What did you put on your main vocal? I heard a little something trailing.... I liked it.
:D:cool:

Sounded good, man. Sounded really good. Guitar / bass tone sounded nice and full. Drums fit the bill, and your vocals were awesome. You got skills, dude.

You are a one-man wrecking crew - this rocks! I'd like to hear you do an original in this style. I'm a fan of SSD, so I think they sounded pretty good. Gtrs sound good, I gotta try that plugin, but they might have been a touch loud or harsh - something slightly fatigued my ear by the end - I might be high :). What did you put on your main vocal? I heard a little something trailing.... I liked it.
:D:cool:

Haha, thanks for the gratuitous compliments, I love you for them :P

My vocal fx chain was blockfish (compressor) -> delay -> reverb -> eq

The delay was set to something pretty subtle, and I used Waves RVerb plate reverb with about 20/80 wet/dry ratio.

What a great tune, awesome!
Great performance here, FTM, love the guitar sound. Only thing that stood out at me was the kick. It could be louder and more defined. But definitely great work!

Back