Diaphragm Sizes in behringer mics

normington

I have two types of behringer mics, just to give them a whirl, the C-2 (small diaphragm condenser) and the C-3 (large dual diaphragm condenser). Let's not discuss the sound here, as it seems any time Behringer is mentioned around here it leads to massive tangents, I'm just puzzled by the manuals. And yes, I guess this is expected with behringer's awful reputation for writing manuals!

Anyway, the C-2, which is a small diaphragm, according to the spec in the manual has a 16mm diaphragm. And the C-3, large diaphragm, according to the spec in the manual has a...wait for it...16mm diaphragm.

How does that work? Or have I missed something obvious?

Both of those mic use small (16mm) electret condenser capsules. Even though the C 3 is side-address, it does not contain a large diaphragm capsule - its specs simply say "dual diaphragm" capsule.

Exactly. Little Behringer marketing ploy... "large, dual diaphragm condenser" not "large diaphragm condenser".

A quick look at the specs actually show the C-2 pencil to have better sensitivity ratings, frequency response, and SPL range.

Right. That's annoying then. And that would explain why I've not noticed so much difference between the sound of the two mics.

I must say, I was more impressed with the C-2's than I was with the C-3. Would you recommend I keep it, or try and sell it for whatever little money it's worth and get something similar but a bit better?

And of course! - I've often wondered why the C-1 and C-3 mics aren't listed under 'Large Diaphragm Microphones' on their website! Ah well, lesson learned.

Exactly. Little Behringer marketing ploy... "large, dual diaphragm condenser" not "large diaphragm condenser".
even "large dual diaphragm condenser" could likely be considered an affirmative misrepresentation -- watch the commas :D (and even with the comma, seems like it's pushing it - jeez)

infact, the box says "Large Dual Diaphragm Condenser" (no commas), and the front of the manual even goes so far as to say "Large-Diaphragm Studio Condenser Microphone". How cheeky indeed!

I have the c-2s and I like them. They are a bit noisy, but I use them as drum overheads, and sometimes on acoustic guitar when my trusty at 2020 + m-audio pulsar aren't around. they are super small too. I'd keep 'em. Probably good on piano too, and horns I bet.

Back