DI question

THX1136

Bonehead
This seems obvious, but I'd like some input anyway. Can a passive direct box be used in reverse? i.e. plugging one in "backwards" to convert a low impedance signal to high impedance. The possible use which prompts my question is using a piece of +4 balanced gear between an instrument and it's amplifier - no FX loop available. If not, why not? Would an active DI be different?

I'm looking at it as I would look at a piece of wire. Although there a some who would argue the fact, wire is not directional. Signal can go either way. Since a DI in it's simplest form is nothing more than a transformer with the appropriate balanced and unbalanced ins and outs couldn't a signal go either direction in a useable fashion?

Thanks for any info anyone might provide.

This seems obvious, but I'd like some input anyway. Can a passive direct box be used in reverse? i.e. plugging one in "backwards" to convert a low impedance signal to high impedance. The possible use which prompts my question is using a piece of +4 balanced gear between an instrument and it's amplifier - no FX loop available. If not, why not? Would an active DI be different?

I'm looking at it as I would look at a piece of wire. Although there a some who would argue the fact, wire is not directional. Signal can go either way. Since a DI in it's simplest form is nothing more than a transformer with the appropriate balanced and unbalanced ins and outs couldn't a signal go either direction in a useable fashion?

Thanks for any info anyone might provide.

Yeah, a passive DI can be used in reverse.
Often they're used that way to transmit a guitar signal or whatever over a distance. Like if a guitarist is in the control room and the head is in the live room. Plug the guitar into the DI, run a mic cable to a DI in reverse and plug it into the head's input.

I'm pretty sure that you can't do that with an active though.

Yeah, a passive DI can be used in reverse.
Often they're used that way to transmit a guitar signal or whatever over a distance. Like if a guitarist is in the control room and the head is in the live room. Plug the guitar into the DI, run a mic cable to a DI in reverse and plug it into the head's input.

I'm pretty sure that you can't do that with an active though.
Hey, that's a really great idea. I've been wondering how to get away with a long guitar lead.... this is mucho better (and an excuse to buy more gear)!

Here I was hoping I could sneak in a joke that you could do it but the sound would come out backwards, but then I learned something new. Dang. I mean cheers.

Thanks eraos. I was figuring that would be the case, but sometimes what seems logical isn't (at least in my case which I'm sure says something for my logic or lack thereof). Any idea as to why an active DI would not work as you suspected?

Radial makes a box for the "long guitar lead" situation if I recall correctly, but if a regular DI will work why buy another box (unless, of course, theirs adds some sort of signal boost).

Back