DI Guitar recording

jaun

Hello,
Right now I need to record some heavy distortion guitars.

As I do not have a good amp, I'd like to know how to get a decent result with a DI recording (yes, I understand it's not the same).

I'm using a zoom driver 5000 on my guitar.
Recorded to disk with a Yamaha DS2416.
The DI recording is excellent.
But what I need to know is how to get that "fat" sound miked amps produce.
Something like Helmet or Ministry.

Please share some tips.

THANKS A LOT;

JAUN

The SansAmp GT-2 Amp. Emulator DI has mic placement switches for mic emulation. It also has a switch for one or two tubes. I have my GT-2 setup very clean sound with a lot of tube. I run my distortion pedal into it and run the out on the GT-2 to my recorder. I've been very pleased with this configuration.

you might also want to check out pod 2.0 from line six (cabinet emulation with selectable cabinet size), and their forthcoming distortion pedal which , i believe, has a direct out for recording...

I'm a guitarist myself, but even when people come to my studio, i usually use a Boss GX700 Rack unit for a lot of guitar sounds. You can get some stunning sounds out of it. It's the best guitar tool i've found so far. Once you find your guitar sound you like, try adding a 15-20 ms delay with little delay feedback and don't have the delay volume loud, under halfway. This really thickens out the sound. A good recording tip is to record one guitar track 75% to the left with some cut mid frequencies, and the same to the right with a slight delay added. Then do all your main guitar tracks and solos straight down the center of the mix with plenty of mids. it works wonders.

Back