DI+D&R or Joemeek for bass

christiaan

Here is the deal.

It looks like I'm going to record a song of mine in a project studio next week. I'm going to play the bass myself but the only way they seem to record bass is plugging it directly in the console (with a DI of course). It's a D&R Stylix 24 channels mixer. I haven't got a clue on how good its pre's are.
Should I bring my Joemeek VC6Q along? It does make my bass sound great on its own and would probably be good for the vocals as well.

To summarise it: What is there to know about D&R?

I don't know anything about that console, but it can never hurt to have options. Bring the Meek along and compare it - use the one that sounds best. If you can borrow any other DI's, try them too. Avalon, Aguilar, and Summit make some particularly great DI's for bass.

I'm with Littledog on this one. I spent ages trying to get a particular bass sound for a Seventies cover. Eventually I achieved it with a lot of messing about. I've since used a J-Station the results were not necessarily better or worse but I got
their a lot faster. Check out:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/mobounce/singles

If you listen to the bass sound on Sweet Thing thats DI and Mic with a lot of time and hassle

The other two tracks were recorded through the J-Station with arguably better results. They went straight in off the presets with a slightly different EQ to bring out the slap sound on I Feel For You. If time or money is an issue it povides a 'banker' sound that gets me out of trouble. If in the end I dont need it it doesn't matter

Also, if you have the spare tracks, split the bass signal and record a dry track as well as a processed one. Later you may find blending the two (or using just one) gives you the sound you are looking for. Also, having a dry track gives you the possibility of reamping it (and mic'ing the amp).

Back