di boxes for bass

thomaswomas

my band are about to record our first album and i'm just doing some extra research into recording techniques before we start, as i'll be engineering the session.

up to now i've been recording bass by having the bass player plug into his tuner pedal, taking a direct line out of the bypass of the tuner pedal for a clean signal into my mixer, then plugging the other output of the tuner pedal into the bass cab, and mic'd this up.

i've been getting good results with this method, but i'm aware that most engineers use a di box to record bass, so i have been thinking about using a di box too, when we record the album.

can anyone tell me the benefits of using a di box, and which one i should go for.

i've had a look at a few recently, the Behringer ULTRA-DI DI100. any good?

thanks

my band are about to record our first album and i'm just doing some extra research into recording techniques before we start, as i'll be engineering the session.

up to now i've been recording bass by having the bass player plug into his tuner pedal, taking a direct line out of the bypass of the tuner pedal for a clean signal into my mixer, then plugging the other output of the tuner pedal into the bass cab, and mic'd this up.

i've been getting good results with this method, but i'm aware that most engineers use a di box to record bass, so i have been thinking about using a di box too, when we record the album.

can anyone tell me the benefits of using a di box, and which one i should go for.

i've had a look at a few recently, the Behringer ULTRA-DI DI100. any good?

thanks

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. I would think the Behry wouldn't add any thing special to what you are currently doing.

I have only used a GT Brick. It can also be used as a mic pre. I did use it for DI bass exclusively. It worked great. I should have never sold it.

Back