DI Box Guitar Recording Into Line Level Interface Input/DSM Simplifier Recording Question

baddestllama

Hello - sorry if this was asked before, I did search but couldn't find my specific scenario.

I'm trying to record a wet and dry signal simultaneously. I'm planning on using a DSM Simplifier to record 2 balanced xlr outs to the 2 mic preamps on a Scarlett 4i4. I would like to split the signal ahead of my pedal board and send that second signal directly to the line level inputs on the back of the 4i4. I have 2 questions:

1. Can I plug the dry signal into a DI box and go direct to the line level input with an xlr to trs cable? I feel like I can't without another preamp after the box. If that's the case, will an average mic preamp color the signal less than a dedicated guitar pre? Should I use a small mixing board?

2. This is for the Simplifier people - is running the 2 balanced outs to 2 preamps doing anything for me, or am I just double tracking a blended signal?

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OK, last question first no, you are not double tracking a blended signal because you are getting reverb derived "stereo". How much use that is only you can decide.

The splitter point is trickier because if you use the conventional TS splitter on most DI boxes and feed one jack to the line input you will load down the guitar to at best I guess 50k. I would suggest at least a passive DI then adapt back the XLR output to feed the line input. Better would be an active DI with a higher, 1M input Z and possibly more XLR output.

Or, do you have a gash guitar pedal about? You need one with a buffer...NOT one of those "electronics misshapes, True Bypass" Guitar into pedal (off) then passively split the pedal out to Simplifier and 4i4 line in.
BTW you have a fourth option. The FX out of the Simplifier.

Note, I have based my answer on a look at the Simps' manual. Not got one!

Dave.

OK, last question first no, you are not double tracking a blended signal because you are getting reverb derived "stereo". How much use that is only you can decide.

The splitter point is trickier because if you use the conventional TS splitter on most DI boxes and feed one jack to the line input you will load down the guitar to at best I guess 50k. I would suggest at least a passive DI then adapt back the XLR output to feed the line input. Better would be an active DI with a higher, 1M input Z and possibly more XLR output.

Or, do you have a gash guitar pedal about? You need one with a buffer...NOT one of those "electronics misshapes, True Bypass" Guitar into pedal (off) then passively split the pedal out to Simplifier and 4i4 line in.
BTW you have a fourth option. The FX out of the Simplifier.

Note, I have based my answer on a look at the Simps' manual. Not got one!

Dave.
Appreciate it Dave.

With regard to taking the active DI and adapting back - do you mean I can run an active DI with an XLR to TRS cable directly to the line inputs on the interface? I was tentatively planning to use a tuner pedal with 2 outputs to split the signal. I don't have a buffered pedal with 2 outputs, but I suppose I could get one.

I'd prefer not to run channel 3 out of the fx loop because I'm using an analog effects chain ahead of the Simplifier and I'd like to bypass that for the dry signal.

"Tuner pedal" make and model please! I would say yes, it will work it will (or should!) have the 1M input Z but might not allow both outputs at the same time? No matter if not, just run a TS splitter cable.

Just for completeness? There are now quite a few small mixer around that have at least one high Z input and a mixer is a very valuable tool to have in any 'experimental' audio setup. Models from Soundcraft and Allen&Heath I do know have HZ inputs. Even a very simple mixer would give you 4 splits from one input...spoiled for choice!

Dave.

"Tuner pedal" make and model please! I would say yes, it will work it will (or should!) have the 1M input Z but might not allow both outputs at the same time? No matter if not, just run a TS splitter cable.

Just for completeness? There are now quite a few small mixer around that have at least one high Z input and a mixer is a very valuable tool to have in any 'experimental' audio setup. Models from Soundcraft and Allen&Heath I do know have HZ inputs. Even a very simple mixer would give you 4 splits from one input...spoiled for choice!

Dave.
it's a junky old Fender PT10 - I got it free with a Strat I bought in like 2004 lol - works great, no complaints. I'm fairly sure it runs both outputs at once - I haven't actually used it with two amps at once but I've had it plugged in to two amps at once while only using one of the amps.

Guess a mixer is worth owning, at the very least. I think I'll try that route and see what happens. Thanks again!

Back