DI Box and bass guitar buzz

bennie08

So when I record with my bass or acoustic through my DI box I get this buzz. Here's the thing, I've noticed that when I keep my fingers on my bass strings it stops, same happens when I actually touch the input on my acoustic. I've read some things online about how the actual person holding the instrument acts as a conductor. Is there any good solution to take care of this? One article recommended wrapping a wire around the acoustic's 1/4" input and then having it touch the person playing which is fine but I figured there would be a different way to do things. Thanks in advanced for any replies!

Have you tried making sure that all signal cables ect are kept away from any ac mains cables which are often the source of such unwanted noise? I had similar when I first put my recording set up together, having routed all signal cables away from all other wiring, and played a large variety of guitars through my set up, I cannot remember the last time I heard an unwanted noise, aside from a bit of sketchy playing.

So when I record with my bass or acoustic through my DI box I get this buzz. Here's the thing, I've noticed that when I keep my fingers on my bass strings it stops, same happens when I actually touch the input on my acoustic. I've read some things online about how the actual person holding the instrument acts as a conductor. Is there any good solution to take care of this? One article recommended wrapping a wire around the acoustic's 1/4" input and then having it touch the person playing which is fine but I figured there would be a different way to do things. Thanks in advanced for any replies!

The bridge on an electric guitar or bass should be bonded to the signal earth (jack sleeve) but many models left this connection off due to "safety" concerns.

These days, so long as ALL the equipment that has a 3core mains cable is properly earthed there should be no danger. Note, always use an RCB when on a gig ESPECIALLY if it is a stone floor. This is also very important for "garage" bands!

Then again, many venues now have RCB built into the consumer unit and I think it is, or soon will be the law to fit it for new installations in UK/EU?

Dave.

So when I record with my bass or acoustic through my DI box I get this buzz. Here's the thing, I've noticed that when I keep my fingers on my bass strings it stops,
When I first went for a more trebly sound on my bass, I used to get this with my amp. If I touched the strings, no problem. If I didn't, buzz. It was very frustrating, especially when the entire buzz would be eliminated by turning the treble off which defeated the object as I was going for that trebly bass sound !

Jusfort Bennie,
You mention a "DI" box? Now these should have an earth lift switch and if so you probably don't want it "lifted".
If there is no switch it is possible that the box does not carry the guitar shield thru to XLR pin1. If not, make it so.

Dave.

When I first went for a more trebly sound on my bass, I used to get this with my amp. If I touched the strings, no problem. If I didn't, buzz. It was very frustrating, especially when the entire buzz would be eliminated by turning the treble off which defeated the object as I was going for that trebly bass sound !

You were being punished for attempting to emulate Chris Squires... ;)

My apple urges for off topic statement.

It's funny, that. In the guitar forums of the world it's quite common to try to emulate various guitarists' sounds but not so common with bassists and organists to do likewise. I have come across so many bass tones that I've liked, I've long felt that there are as many bass tones as there are guitar ones. While I've never particularly studied styles, I have done with tones and various bass players down the ages have given me ideas of the kinds of tones I'd employ. Chris Squires was one of them. They make good starting points and open the door to what is possible.
But I've come to realize that it's not the bass tone per se that gets my ear as much as it is the tone within a particular song or album or era. None of Squires' bass lines particularly stand out to me except that gorgeous slow bit at the start of "Heart of the sunrise". Whereas Bill Bruford's drum patterns really stand out !

So just to update, I moved my DI box on the floor whereas my computer is on a desk and I believe that it the AC mains where the problem. This is such a good place to look for help even if the problem is small. Thanks!

So just to update, I moved my DI box on the floor whereas my computer is on a desk and I believe that it the AC mains where the problem. This is such a good place to look for help even if the problem is small. Thanks!

If I understand you correctly you were suffering from computer hash coupling into the DI box?

Worth noting that small "wall rat" and line lump power supples are the very Divil for this problem, the worst being the small AC only types.

Fortunately these, AC rats, will soon be banned in the EU.

Dave.

Fortunately these, AC rats, will soon be banned in the EU.

Dave.
unfortunately that just means the cheaper companies will simply move the same crummy power supplies into the chassis where they will perform, or not, the same as before.

unfortunately that just means the cheaper companies will simply move the same crummy power supplies into the chassis where they will perform, or not, the same as before.

No, I don't think so Bob.

Putting mains power into equipment is a big step. All sorts of regulations have to be met. Then production line testing is very difficult since you would need HV trained staff(unless you want a HUGE staff turnover rate!).

Most companies will do as mine has and simply (hah!) redesign the kit to run on a DC supply. Fortunately SMPSUs are now such mature and reliable, not to say cheap technology, this is no big problem.

One way around the problem is to fit an inline mains switch in the line lump!

Dave.

Back