Determining Fender Bassman Circuit

cafehonda

I recently had a client give me a Fender Bassman 50 Silverface head. It has a couple of broken pot shafts which are an easy fix but I would like to figure out what circuit I have so I can do a proper diagnostic job on it. I am going to "blackface" it so I want to make sure I get the right parts and do the right mods. Any sage advice for determining which circuit I might have?

BTW, I am a drummer with soldering skills so this is way outside my wheelhouse.

Is the tube chart sticker not still on the inside? CBS was notorious for using whatever stickers they had in stock on 70s Silverfaces, but there's a chance yours could be accurate, or it could give you a starting point. You can probably narrow down the year on the Superior music page if you haven't already...

I wouldn't worry. Just look at the bias potentiometer. If it looks like a bias 'balance' control, it's a terrible idea, and that's all you need to do. Your 'client' will thank you. Make it like any blackface bias circuit. You'll need one 220K resistor, and a small piece of wire.
Well, sometimes you need a 2nd resistor. You'll know when you go to bias the tubes. But start there, and worry about step #3 when you have step #2 finished.

Back