Detached garage jam space ceiling

p_wats

Hey guys,

I've recently rebuilt my detached garage and hope to convert it into a jam space/studio. It's a 10x20' building, that is so far insulated with a combo of 1" foam on the outside beneath the siding and regular Roxul between the 2x4 studs on the inside.

My main question so far is, if I plan to do a flat ceiling (to allow for small storage in the attic), but have already insulated the ceiling rafters (2x8 with 2" rafter vents then 6" of insulation between the rafters), is it still useful to put something like Roxul Safe n' Sound between the collar ties (above the 1/2" drywall flat ceiling) or does it matter given that the drywall will create a barrier, then the attic air space will absorb more sound before it gets to the insulated rafters/roof etc?

I play in a 2-piece band (guitar and keys) so don't have to worry about bass/drums too much (but don't want to limit the possibility), but also don't expect a perfectly soundproof space. i'm also curious if 1/2" drywall vs 5/8" is going to make a huge difference (we already have 5/8" on 1 wall due to code regulations (close enough to our neighbours yard).

I should also mention the garage has double french doors that are mostly glass and also has a 2'x3' window near the back, so I understand we're only going to be able to achieve so much.

Basically, for starters I'm wondering if extra insulation in the ceiling will matter given that we have the dead space of the attic before the already insulated rafters.

What do you think? Thanks!

Back