Destructively editing a take

Outlaws

Okay, bear with me on this, its sort of two questions.

So I record a guitar part. I make a bunch of noise after I stop. I go in and scrub to the end. Right click split at cursor. *DELETE*.

Simple. :) As easy as my VS1680 was, minus the finger gymnastics.

Here are the two questions....

1. I now want to print some effects, but don't want a plug-in sucking on my CPUs tit the rest of the project. My thoughts are print them to a new take. Well, the reverb/delays/etc get cut off when I do that. Whats the best method of accomplish my goal?

2. Through experimentation of trying to solve the problem above, I have notice that after trimming said take, if I extend the track out further, the whole take is still there. What gives? That is nice, and I do like non-destructive editing, but when I am trying to grab a small section out of long riff its kind of wasteful. Is there a simple way to actually cut parts out if need be?

Okay, bear with me on this, its sort of two questions.

So I record a guitar part. I make a bunch of noise after I stop. I go in and scrub to the end. Right click split at cursor. *DELETE*.

Simple. :) As easy as my VS1680 was, minus the finger gymnastics.

Here are the two questions....

1. I now want to print some effects, but don't want a plug-in sucking on my CPUs tit the rest of the project. My thoughts are print them to a new take. Well, the reverb/delays/etc get cut off when I do that. Whats the best method of accomplish my goal?

2. Through experimentation of trying to solve the problem above, I have notice that after trimming said take, if I extend the track out further, the whole take is still there. What gives? That is nice, and I do like non-destructive editing, but when I am trying to grab a small section out of long riff its kind of wasteful. Is there a simple way to actually cut parts out if need be?

right click on the edited take and rended as a new take.

Right click the track (not the waveform) and hit "Render selected tracks to stem tracks (and mute/bypass originals)." That should achieve what you're looking for. The only destructive editing is what you described if you delete the old take. Other than that, Reaper is purely non-destructive outside of normalization. Pretty nice for when you think something sounds good after a night of mixing then realize you applied a completely wrong effect the next day :p

The only destructive editing is what you described if you delete the old take.

Even that's not really destructive since the original audio data is still there until you delete it manually (Make sure you manage where Reaper stores its data files. I accidentally deleted 6 months worth of raw audio!)

Back