Desk/Rack Construction Help

Chrisjob

Hello all,

As you'll see in the photos, I have two separate desks on which I have my essential gear set up: one for the computer, monitor speakers, mixer, MIDI controller, etc; and the other for my turntables and dj mixer. I have the rack positioned between the desks, which puts it at the ideal position (reachable from both stations) but in the way I have the furniture set up currently, I'm losing alot of valuable room space on either side of the rack. Also, the rack is way too deep for any of my current gear, and though the depth gets it closer to my reach, it limits the postioning of the desks around it.

I'm thinking I might attempt to create some kind of unit that will turn my current two desk/one rack set-up into an L-shaped desk that can emcompass all my gear and give me more surface area, which I have plenty of uses for, and best utilize my space...plus I think it'd be quite nice to have an L-shaped desk.

desks1.jpg

wastinghere.jpg

Some Considerations:

1)The desks are more or less the same height: 28.5 inches.

2) I need to be able to stand comfortably in front of the DJ desk to easily manipulate the turntables.

3) I really like being able to reach the Nord Lead (in the rack) from the chair infront of the MIDI keyboard so as to adjust in real time.

4) the DJ desk cannot go any farther to the left (towards the opposite wall), as it is already butting against a couch.

I'm moderately handy, but I've been looking at the space so long I'm out of ideas. I'd appreciate any suggestions to linking the two desks together, while making space for my rack gear. The rack is homemade, so I'd have no problems taking it apart and re-using the materials (the rails, specifically).

I look forward to your help.

Peace,
Chris

they

i don't have any real input for you except that I love your THEY skull... TMBG rule!!! anyhoo... good luck with the redesign... :D

b.

I think the best thing to do is build just a basic corner table to connect the two desks and then make a small rack to house the nord, ect. and just put that vox on the floor under the new table. i know thats not like a marvel of engineering or anything and you probably thought of it 6 months ago, i just thought i'd throw it out there. by the way, you've packed some good gear in a small space, it looks like it would be very conducive to creativity.

jmh8605 said:
I think the best thing to do is build just a basic corner table to connect the two desks ...

I'd appreciate some tips for a "basic corner table".

I thought I might attach the table to a furring strip on the wall (at a 45 degree angle?) to utilize the wall as anchorage.

I also thought since the other two desks have black metal legs, I might try to employ some of those as well. That seems to be an easy enough project. Where does one buy premade metal legs?

Cheers,
Chris

If you remove the amplifier from your angled rack, and install rack rails, that should give you some additional rack space.

For surface area, you could remove the top of your rack (it looks homemade?), you could make a new top that centers the rack between the two desks, and make one work surface that ties the two tables together, using bolts/plates on the underside.

Assuming both tables/desks are the same height. Much like a "return desk", which is a side desk that attaches to a main desk, to which secretaries have a typewriter (well, now a PC running MS office of course).

Frederic,

You'll have to forgive me...I'm not as handy as I thought I might be.

Shall I simply get a "desktop" and connect it to the underside of either desk using some hardware? Somewhat like a band-aid? Would that provide enough support for a heavy rack?

Thanks to all,

Chris

Hey Chris,
A good friend of mine did a simular thing to what you want to do.
He went to Ikea(I know I hate that place but....) he went and dug through ther scratch and dent table tops and found a courner unit and then bought to shorter desk tops for the wings on the desk.
It worked out slick.

You could do something simular by anchoring to the wall like you said with a support and then use the leggs for other point on the end and such for support and then modify or cut down the rack you have and put it under the desk. and then just build some risers or make small rack on top of your desk for gear and your monitors.

Just a thought. :D

Hey who is that band poster of with the three girls neer the corner?

Later

-Blaze

Also, for utilizing the space you have, you could get an LCD stand that would lift your LCD off of the surface and allow you to utilize some of that area(for your mixer perhaps). You could get a decent shelf (make sure it's sturdy) to hang on the wall and put all of that vinyl in, lose the milkcrates. Then as Fredrick said, you could move the amp out of the rack and under the turntables and fill the bottom part of the rack with actual rack gear, or the tape deck, etc on top of your monitors. Maybe look into wall mounts for the monitors too? Not sure how well that is embraced, but seems like it'd be worth checking out for the extra space.

Creamyapples1 said:
Also, for utilizing the space you have, you could get an LCD stand that would lift your LCD off of the surface and allow you to utilize some of that area(for your mixer perhaps). You could get a decent shelf (make sure it's sturdy) to hang on the wall and put all of that vinyl in, lose the milkcrates. Then as Fredrick said, you could move the amp out of the rack and under the turntables and fill the bottom part of the rack with actual rack gear, or the tape deck, etc on top of your monitors. Maybe look into wall mounts for the monitors too? Not sure how well that is embraced, but seems like it'd be worth checking out for the extra space.

I have 14 such crates of records, so a couple of wall mounted shelfs aren't going to do much good. The records in the crates below the turntables have been selected and placed right where I need them.
The shelf the monitor is on is only 6 inches deep, so it wouldn't hold much else, plus it's already hard enough to read at a high resolution. If I mounted the speakers on the wall in order to use the space where they're now sitting, they would have to be so high they'd be too far from my ears. I don't need more rack space...I've got six spaces open in the two racks behind the desk. Thanks for the tips. (PS- My wife is from Ironton, Ohio...Wheelersburg serves as my landmark to go 5mph under the speed limit to avoid the insane police officers in Hanging Rock. Where do you shop for music gear down there? Internet? :) )

I'm not looking to add more gear, I'd simply like more surface area...so there's space when I bring out the synths and stuff I don't use everyday, and to accomodate all the books and papers that will forever plague my space until I've finished my dissertation.

BlazingStrings, thanks for your help. I think I'm going to secure a connecting desktop on the wall and finding some metal legs. Any ideas on where I can find some? The girls on the poster are the Eyeliners, a punk rock band from Albuquerque. They're actually sisters.

Thanks to all, and I'd appreciate any additional thoughts.

-Chris

Yeah, internet ftw! There are a few local shops, but I wouldn't count on finding more than accessory type things, cables, strings, etc. The occaisonal guitar or two if the price is right. I usually stick with Musicians Friend and eBay.

treymonfauntre said:
so anti-flag's die for the government is a high demand record for djs to spin, eh?

I have a non-violence routine that uses both "Die for the Government" (in cut time) and "Red, White, and Brainwashed." It is the fastest record in the set (as you might guess), so it's at the front.

Back