Demo Tape Sound/"Real" Sound Mastering

Matthew Walsh

Okay, whew, this one's gonna be a doozy!

I have Vision DSP 4.2 running off of an iMac DV 400 mHz. I dump the individual audio tracks in via a Mackie mixer through the DV's stereo mini-plug in -- using the built-in Sound Manager, not a card! -- clean up the tracks where necessary and mix down to stereo AIFF files to be burned to CD. So far, so good ...

So I mix down the song, knowing certain things need more 'verb than others. I refuse to EQ anything, since nothing really needs it; I just add some reverb here and there, let the built-in reverbs of certain MIDI keyboards have their way if they don't need it, compress the distorted guitars a little, and attach a comp/limiter (it's the free mdaDynamics VST plug, for anybody who uses Vision on here!) on the sound output so that I don't go over zero on the final mixdown to an interleaved AIFF file. Again, so far, so good ...

Unfortunately, without the benefit of the sound card, which an iMac doesn't even take, I can only regard my mix via some sattelites attached to the iMac's sound out. This only tells me so much, anyway. However, the mix sounds fine to me, just some 'verb and a li'l bit of compression. So I burn a test CD and put it on my stereo, testing it in "normal" two speaker mode and in "phantom" mode, which I think spreads the stereo field to the surround speakers. The thinking is, well, somebody might put this on their home theater system and listen that way. Still sounds okay, maybe a little duller than the "real thing", but I know better than to expect that my dinky home system is gonna compete with a full-out studio. I'll just settle for people not being distracted by it being less than a studio recording -- that it's comparable, even if it didn't quite make it, and that my margin of error isn't too far off. Then, I place it against some "real" albums, to see just how far off the mark I was, and that's when the horror begins to set in.

There's something I've read recording folk write about called "center phenomenon", where everything is in stereo, but it's sort of smushed towards the middle -- like you'd just recorded a stereo mixdown from a mixer to your tape deck without a bunch of compressing and processing, and that's what I've got. The levels are right (well, it's possible that might be a little lower, but I swear, it's topping out right at zero where it should!), the mix is okay -- there's just no stereo dynamics! Stuff that should pan hard left and right when they land, like the toms and hats on my Boss 660 drum machine, go where they're supposed to, as do all the keyboard tracks, and the vocals are centered but spread with a little Hyperprism mono-to-stereo 'verb; they're fine. Just no dynamics. Everythings seems to be afraid to spread out! The "stereo field" is too narrow, and everything that was stereo was recorded with its left and right channels panned all the way out. Again, the mix and even the 'verb sound fine to me. And only the guitars are compressed, so it's not that.

So what I resorted to was attaching another VST plug to my sound output before the comp/limiter: Hyperprism's "More Stereo" plug. I put on just enough to pop the stereo field open as wide as what I hear on a "real" song when I mix down. Now, a few bad things are happening. One. the limiter punks out and ducks some of the audio where it shouldn't. This is noticable only in one spot in the song, so I figured: too hot, and mixed accordingly. The second things was, now my beautiful reverb is amplified to make virtually everything sounds like it was recorded in a giant cave. The vocals, the instruments are all spread perfectly -- but now the reverb that sounded great is now the reverb that sounds like I just bought me a $30 'verb box at Radio Shack! So I'm compensating by turning the reverb, and what I liked about my mix, down to almost nothing.

So what have I done wrong here? I'm guessing this tells me that I have a tin ear when it comes to reverb levels, tho I always assumed I was using it sparingly enough, just to open the soundstage on the drums, basically, and to give an orchestral feel to the piano and the orchestra stuff. Why does the music, which sounds essentially okay when I mix it, suddenly sound squashed, ameteuerish and flat when compared to your average studio recording? I'm not asking for something a Finalizer and about $40,000 in recording hardware would get you -- I just want to know how to spread everything out in the stereo field without making my reverb sound Godawful, or doing something ultra-complicated and weird that hampers the fun of doing a mix in the first place!

I'd like to keep using my preferred levels of reverb, if possible (I don't think it will be, though -- that might be a real problem I'll hafta resolve on my own!) and the goal, Quixotic tho it may be, is to avoid relying on a mastering studio to master out my own mixes. I'm damn close to getting it right, but I'd like an assist, if possible, so I don't blow through another fifty test CDs trying to get there. Any help you guys might be able to provide would be GREATLY APPRECIATED and maybe, just maybe, I'll get this done and finally get a decent night's sleep!

Wow ! I got a headache reading your post.

IF !! I understand your problem then I would say the following.

I have never used the "more stereo" plug in but I'm not surprised it killed you reverb. Plug ins are not magic buttons you push and Poof you got a fantastic stereo image.

To get a good image you need to take into acount 3 dimensions- 1. Left-Right
2. Close-Distant
3. Above-Below.

This can be done using the following:
#1 is done with Panning
#2 is done with reverb and delay
#3 is done with EQ (also with a short delay)

It would take a very long post to explain how you go about it (I thing I wrote more about this in a post a month ago try a search).

The best I can suggest is that you practice moving a single object like a snare hit in a room and play with each of the top factors and you will see that as you combine them ( even a reverb in a different reverb), you will hear the movment from place to place. With a lot of practice you will be able to place a sound anywhere you want.

Here are some things you should try:
* Start with a big hall sound ( it will make all changes clearer

* Simple pannig

* Split a sound by delaying and placing dry on one side and wet on other

* Combine a sound with a short delay in the same pan position

* Notice that Low freq's, sound under (below) as compared to higher Freq's sounding instruments.

* Change the predelay on your reverb and the volume of the direct sound.

* Combine a small hall reverb with a concert hall and after that, pan the concert hall (only) to the left-right.

* Change as you listen, the reverb,decay time and perdelay and hear as it moves and also the SIZE of the sound.

I asume that you are not having a problem with blending instruments together.

As to mastering in the house - I am not a big fan of this but you will find many people on this site that encourge
it.

Good Luck !

[This message has been edited by Shailat (edited 03-20-2000).]

Hey, thanks for the reply (and sorry for the long initial posting!). No, stereo PLACEMENT isn't the problem, nor is the EQ or delay. The problem is the overall stereo image -- the soundstage itself is too narrow, and even if I record everything stereo in with my right/left panpots turned hard left and right (well, I always do it that way!) on my mixer, the signal goes where it's supposed to go, just not ENOUGH. I wind up with that "demo tape" sound and the dynamics fall short, even if the levels are right and everything is pushed out as far as it can go.

On the other hand, I DO understand what you're saying, and my EQ may be the problem -- I take to heart that everyone generally claims that playing with the EQ unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY can often be more trouble than it's worth, so I mix flat and leave the EQ to the listener's stereo's own EQ tastes. But the EQ sounds pretty fine the way it is -- again, the only problem seems to be the soundstage.

I'm certain that the "More Stereo" plug (it's part of the Arboretum Hyperprism 2 Plug-In Pack software) is a useful tool -- it just tells me I'm a reverb hog and need to stop being afraid of letting it be a little drier. That's what I'm working on now -- trying to learn what is ENOUGH reverb.

And as far as the gear, between Vision (before you scoff, you should download the demo, at least!), the ultra-fast comp and the plug-ins -- which essentially give you everything you need to process sound -- I'd say I'm set up as well as anybody doing it out of their home ... I just lack some serious know-how! :)

James, there's a few good sites with free downloadable PC or Mac VST plugs, but I got my freebies mainly from this one:
http://www.abel.co.uk/~maxim/vst/

This guys has done his own VST plugs that are compatible with any program that uses VST plug-ins for the Mac or PC, and some of them are as good as anything you'd buy in the store or pay-download from a site, including the comp/limiter, compressors, limiters, rotating speakers, amp emulators and multiband-distortion (sort of a low-rent Quadrafuzz). Hope that helped!

Before I go and write another long post way don't you post a MP3 for me to hear then I can give specific advice.

I still think that my post would solve your problem.
If your problem is stereo image (and dynamics included).

But it's like a blind man, with out hearing your stuff.

[This message has been edited by Shailat (edited 03-21-2000).]

Back