Demo song

NL5

Unpossible!
Just curious what anyone thinks of this song/mix. We are going to completely redo it, so I'd like to hear suggestions before we start tracking again.

Thanks in advance!

:D

You've got an excellent piano sound on this. What are you using?? Mic'ing a real piano or a patch?? If you're micing a piano, it truly sounds great. If it's a patch, mind sharing which one?

I think the mix is pretty good. Not much stands out as needing improvement. I think the vocals could be a little fuller, it's a little too middy as is. There's also some mild pitchiness here and there which could be easily fixed.

That's about it. :D

Very cool song, I really like it. If you redo it, you might consider a different ending. I'm not crazy about the abruptness.

cheers,

Your recording is clear. Not many people can do that nowadays. Nothing sounds muffled. The music is good, but the vocals seem a bit roomy/uncompressed. Also, you're a bit pitchy here and there.

Otherwise, good demo

I agree with Chili on the piano... the instruments sounds great. Without being bad, the vocals are the weakest instrument in the song (IMHO), i didn't like that much the vocal melody, but, keep in mind that i don't like that much Foo Fighters or Faith No More, so this is only a personal issue. I think their fans will love this song.

The job on the recording and mix is great. Maybe i'll bring the vocals up juuuuust a hair, and add a little more reverb. Don't touch the instruments, they are awesome.

Cheers :drunk:

Wow, thanks to everybody that has replied so far!

The piano is a Yamaha S90 ES run into the DI's on a GR MP2-NV. I added a fair amount of verb, and a bit of EQ to them, but that's about it.

About the vocals sounding uncompressed. They were actually hit pretty hard on the way in, then again on mixdown (buried needle of the GR meter - LOL - both times)

Thanks again!

I too thought the piano sounded really great. Really.

The guitars seemed a little boxy and/or dark to me, but maybe just me. While not so much of a fan of the vocals stylistically and thinking they were a bit too out front, I thought they sounded fine otherwise. Nice work.

I think the production is pretty cool. I wish more songs had different instruments in them than just guitar, drums, and bass (YAWN). Love the piano! Really adds a lot to the production here! Digging the guitar tone too. What was the amp/mic configuration?

I think if you fix those pitchy vocal parts, you've got a great song here, nicely arranged and performed. In principle, the singer's got a good voice, but forget about recording the vocals all in one go. Otherwise, nice work.

Joey :)

It's a good song. It'd have worked with a guitar or piano playing the ostinato.
The piano does cause a little conflict with the bass but you've enough definition on the bass for it to remind me it's there and working.
There's a bit of Buffalo Tom to the textures and vocals.
The snare build cuts through pretty well - though I can't decide if it needs more snap. the toms at the end of that build get a little lost - maybe the panning could be tweaked so that they sit in some spaces.
Vocals need a little work as suggested by Joey BUT it's pretty bloody good overall.

Thanks again to everyone that has listened.

Pretty well sounds unanimous that the vocals need to be re-done. The singer was actually pretty happy with these, but I definitely hear what you guys are picking up on - been kind of an ongoing battle - lol.

I think Rayc is right, the snare need a bit mare snap to it, to bring it a bit more forward.

As far as the guitars, I am not totally in love with the tones, but they are MILES better than what I was getting from the guitarist (who also is the singer).

JNDietz - there are three guitars - the two hard panned guitars are the singers guitar doubled - one track is a Orange amp/cab miced with a Royer 121 into a GR MP2-NV. The other track, is the scratch track we recorded straight off his tube screamer! The lead guitarists stuff is a Mesa Mark IV I believe, miced the same way as the other cab. (it's a 1x12 combo amp)

Oh, and Joey - glad you like the arrangement - I hacked the song up to this arrangement in post. I think it really makes the song come together much more than the previous arrangement - plus, it took quite a bit off the length.

Thanks again!

Keep the comments coming!

:D

Dude--where you been? Seems like forever. Good to see you. This is a coold sounding song. You said you hacked it up in post production? Well nice job. I don't know how to say it other than it sounds like a "real" song--so much different than typical HR fare. I'd be proud of this.

The piano rules--drew me in right away. The vox--like others said, they're the weak point. The tone and emotion is great, but the pitch problems distract.

All in all, great job!

Hey I not only like this song but would absolutely love this song w/o the pimples already stated. The vocals have great emotion & conviction. What I don't understand is how a vocal track can be so spot-on pitch-wise in certain sections and then tail off so far in others. I mean the ear is there a good part of the time, so why then does it falter so far in some sections?

Anyway, it would definitely be worth your while to run vocals through Melodyne Studio after the final track is finished because this song has huge potential.

Most of the things I noticed have been covered.

The only thing I'd add is there are certain notes on the piano that jump out above the others. Just here and there I'm hearing them "jump."

Dude--where you been? Seems like forever. Good to see you. This is a coold sounding song. You said you hacked it up in post production? Well nice job. I don't know how to say it other than it sounds like a "real" song--so much different than typical HR fare. I'd be proud of this.

The piano rules--drew me in right away. The vox--like others said, they're the weak point. The tone and emotion is great, but the pitch problems distract.

All in all, great job!

LOL. Yeah, it's been a few months. I'm still around here, just not posting much lately.

Thanks for all the kind words. We're really hoping to put together a "real" album this fall/winter, but at the rate we are going, I don't know if it will happen.....

Hey I not only like this song but would absolutely love this song w/o the pimples already stated. The vocals have great emotion & conviction. What I don't understand is how a vocal track can be so spot-on pitch-wise in certain sections and then tail off so far in others. I mean the ear is there a good part of the time, so why then does it falter so far in some sections?

Anyway, it would definitely be worth your while to run vocals through Melodyne Studio after the final track is finished because this song has huge potential.

I'm gonna try and fix the vocals with autotune and see if I can get them better.

nothin much more to add...excellent stuff.....very radio friendly :)

glad i just got a piano expansion for my JV...may be worth it..

Back