Demo casette tape. Which one?

webstop

Are there any typical requirements to demo cassette tape?
I mean what kind of tape, Dolby or not etc..?
Dos and Donts, please.
Your advice would be appreciated.

If it was my choise I wouldn't do that too, BUT according to 2001 Songwriter's Market book, whole bunch of publishers want demos on cassettes. Don't ask me why.
Unless this information is obsolete and not accurate.
So the question remains: what is the right way to do it?

I would use Chrome tape... only 2-3 songs AT MOST.... best song first.... better still, try a collage of song snippets (unless you're shopping the whole song itself!)

I would put Dolby B ON.... here's why... people will play on 2 kinds of machines - a better quality one that has Dolby enabled on it anyways, or a poorer quality unit (or boombox) that doesn't....

With Dolby on, the recording will be quieter on the better units... on the boombox, sound quality will already be questionable and the recording will probably benefit from the added high-end boost of a Dolby-encoded being played back with Dolby off...!

" whole bunch of publishers want demos on cassettes. "

That's news to me, but good news. Good advice on Dolby, there Bruce- I've gotta try that! Thanks.

Bob
Aurally Challenged

Blue Bear Sound said:
I would use Chrome tape... only 2-3 songs AT MOST.... best song first.... better still, try a collage of song snippets (unless you're shopping the whole song itself!)

I would put Dolby B ON.... here's why... people will play on 2 kinds of machines - a better quality one that has Dolby enabled on it anyways, or a poorer quality unit (or boombox) that doesn't....

With Dolby on, the recording will be quieter on the better units... on the boombox, sound quality will already be questionable and the recording will probably benefit from the added high-end boost of a Dolby-encoded being played back with Dolby off...!

What he said. ;)

It's also a good idea to call and ask what they want. Some people want CD and some want cassette despite what the songwriter's market says.

Steve
www.piemusic.com

webstop said:
If it was my choise I wouldn't do that too, BUT according to 2001 Songwriter's Market book, whole bunch of publishers want demos on cassettes. Don't ask me why.

Maybe cause cassettes cost more than CDs so they get more satisfaction when they throw your cassette in the garbage.

I heared a couple of years ago that many A&R's still like cassettes the best because they cabn listen to it in their carradio's:D

But by now, most of them must have Cd-players in theirs cars:).

I would definetely go for CD format. Less hassle and almost no difference in price.

heh I wouldn't trust the finances of a lable who's A&R guy didn't have a CD player in his car :) but I think they would get more satisfaction from throwing it away as soon as they get it.

I still see no advantage in Cd's . I once saw the A&R guy of Universal Belgium listen to some demo's: he listens to the first 10 seconds, sometimes forwards to listen to the chorus for a few seconds and then goes to the next song. When you got a cassette, and he doesn't like you're first song, I don't think it is likely that he's going to fast forward your cassette to listen to the next songs.

There's gotta be a reason for them wanting a demo on cassette.
Maybe it is that if the music sounds listenable on cassette, it is most likely a decent recording.
Or maybe it is becuase cassettes are reusable ;)
Ayway, thanks for input.

DEMO"S are worthless

most always, demos are pretty worthless, unless you beleive in hitting the lottery. These A&R guys get so many demos, it's pathetic. Often times, so many songs and demos wind up in the mountain of collected trash. This has been going on for yrs, so many yrs...............and all those great songs never heard,
The best hope I can give you is, put in some time and get some band members and get out and play and create a following. If you can't do that locally, try moving if you're in the wrong area and if you can't get that going, keep developing your talent and if you still can't get it to fly, give your industry palns and do it for fun or go on with your life.

You can call and hound people and go visit them in person with your CDs. Going to South by Southwest in Austin is a good place to meet people. Rather than going to shows I'd go hang out in the hotel bars and talk to record company people and publishing people. Tell them about your work. So much of show business is salesmanship. Have you ever seen "The Player"? You know how people come and pitch movie ideas. You've got to learn to pitch your songs. If you can't do it, then find someone to do it for you. Make the human contact. Pitch your songs. Someone will say yes. And, when you get a CD in front of them, they'll actually listen.

Steve
http://www.piemusic.com

Back