Demagnetizing!

enuff1

I don't know, if this has been talked about before, but I have a question about Demagnetizing the heads of my Tascam 414 MK II.
When I record, I have been noticing some Background Hiss. I have been using a Guitar & Keyboard to record with. The Directions for the 4 track, when using Keyboards, is to turn the trim sliders all the way down, and I have been doing that. I have been keeping the heads clean, but I still get some hiss. I was told I may need to Demagnetize my heads. I found that there are two types on the market. 1 is the electric type that you plug into an outlet, and stand about 3 inches away, and slowly move toward the heads. The other type is the cassette type, that you place in the machine. My question is, which one of these is the best typ to use, and will it damage my heads over time? Thanks for the info...

not an expert, but...

tape hiss is just a fact of life. that's why everyone luvs digital; no tape hiss. i don't know how much hiss you're getting. are you using dolby? i've heard the pop-in type demagnetizers can damage your heads. the other one is better, i bet. are you using good cassettes? i don't know that much, but maybe this'll help. oh, yeah. are all your inputs that you're not recording from turned down or off. you gotta make sure you're recording strictly from the one source you want, or you'll get extra line hiss on your track. peace.

I record digitally on my Alesis HD24 and archive old recordings from my ADAT's to same. However I'll always luv old-skool analog!
My first ever multi-tracker was a Tascam 4-something-4 cassette recorder and whether I incorporated Dolby B or C it made no diff in hiss elimination. I tried de-magnetizers,tape-head cleaners and pinch-roller dust removers with absolutely no luck!
That's when I decided to use old-skool cleaning techniques momma taught me back in the day! (momma was no joke on audio preservation). With Q-tip's dabbed in a lil rubbing alchohol,
with "PLAY"depressed, I cleaned both capstan and rollers and record & play heads. Buffed each part with the "dry" end of Q-tip,
then allowed 10 minutes to pass b-4 popping a Maxell UDXLII cassette and presto, "hiss' gone! Some may argue against this cleaning technique,but it worked for me! I still use this method to clean my old-skool TEAC cassete deck!
YMMV!

Rubbing alcohol is fine but you shouldn't use it on the rollers. get some rubber cleaner for that. As for the de-manetizer....get the electric one and learn how to use it properly. It will come with instructions so read and understand them or it'll be a waste of time.

That tape hiss you are getting will definately improve if you de-gauss (de-magenetize) your heads. I've had the same electric Realistic :rolleyes: demagnetizer for 15 years and it works awesome.

Your heads can NEVER be too clean. If you think they're clean, clean them again. Each and every time you sit down to record.

You don't say how you are recording your guitar. If you are micing the amp without a gate that my be allowing some hiss onto your tape. Especially if the treble or overdrive is up.

Another issue may be the tape you are using. Stay away from the "three for a dollar" special at Wal-Mart. Use Maxell or TDK high-bias tape in your machine. Do not use metal. It is abrasive and will wear your head faster and the bias frequency is not set-up for metal tape.

You may need to degausse the heads too. Do not use the cassette cartridge. They are junk and made for auto cassette decks with hard to get to heads. Use a real degausser. They'er cheap.

I have DBX on my deck which eliminates most, if not all hiss as long as I keep my levels hot and I set up a good gain structure. You want as much signal to tape without distortion as you can get.

Lt. Bob said:
Rubbing alcohol is fine but you shouldn't use it on the rollers. get some rubber cleaner for that. As for the de-manetizer....get the electric one and learn how to use it properly. It will come with instructions so read and understand them or it'll be a waste of time.
NEVER EVER USE "RUBBING ALCOHOL"..............

Rubbing alcohol is only 70% isopropyl mixed with skin lubricants and other components (because it is made to be used on skin as a massage/cleansing compound)...

You NEED to use at least 90% isopropyl alcohol (99% is better)... the impurities in the rubbing alcohol will damage your heads.........

Lt. Bob's correct about not using it on pinch rollers though...... there is is dedicated pinch roller cleaner or rubber cleaning compounds that should be used instead........

Blue Bear Sound said:
NEVER EVER USE "RUBBING ALCOHOL".................
Actually Bear's right. I've always heard that you shouldn't use rubbing alcohol 'cause it has a lot of water in it. But I've never had any luck finding 99% isopropyl anywhere so I've always used commercial head cleaner which is getting harder to find. If you're still reading Bear, where would I find 99%? Also...do you know a place I can get tape head lubricant? I have some old tapes that have dried out and they squeek on the heads causing a terrible fluttering distortion and I'm almost out of my old lubricant.

I've been able to get the 99% alky right alongside the 70% and 91% stuff in the health section of my local Fred Meyer variety and grocery store. Any pharmacy should be able to get it for you. Just remember to keep the lid on really snug when not using it, because alcohol is hygroscopic by nature, and you'll end up with 70% stuff eventually unless you keep the lid on tight... Steve

When I record, I usually Plug My Guitar, Or Keyboard directly into the 4 track, I don't use an amp for that, but when I add vocals, since my amp has built in reverb, I plug my mic, into my amp. I also have an output on my amp,so from the output, I plug into the 4 track. Could that be causing my problem? About The alcohol, 90-99% isn't to strong?

What output from your amp are you using?

No, 99% alcohol is not too strong. Your heads don't know the difference unless there is water in it.

Do you have any built-in noise reduction on your deck? I'm not familiar with the 414.

I'm not sure what you mean, by what output on my amp I'm using, but it is a 1/4 audio out jack, that I plug into the 4 Track, when I wanna use reverb. My 414 has Dolby Noise reduction. I believe it's B Noise Reduction...

enuff1 said:
I don't know, if this has been talked about before, but I have a question about Demagnetizing the heads of my Tascam 414 MK II.

You do not need to demagnetize your recording heads, ever. When you press the record button the heads become magnets and they in turn create a magnetic field onto the tape. They do not build up what some call residual magnetism. The trick is to keep the heads clean and adjusted properly and to degauss your tapes before recording.
I won't bore you with the details of de-magetizing but if you'd like to learn more click on the technical library at
http://www.sprague-magnetics.com/

Back