Delving into pc recording

tws

Hey all, im sick and tired of my br-8 so im gonna get into pc recording. I think im gonna go for an apple emac- just around 1000 bucks.
Then i need to get a sound card and some software....any recommendations? I have been wondering if it is even possible to put in a new soundcard on an emac...but im not sure. I guess i wouldnt need a mixing board or anything. I'm just looking to get professional sounding recordings. Thanks, William

I was in your shoes not too long ago. I switched from a BR-8 to the PC about 7 mos ago and never looked back. I still use the BR-8 as a DI box for guitar and bass though. I just couldn't throw the damn thing away. Be prepared. The hardware/software possibilities are endless. Quite daunting to the uninitiated. For instance, If I knew then what I know now, I'd have never bought a Dell. I'd have built a real recording machine, but hindsight is always 20/20 right? I went through some major souncard woes for the first two months, then bought a "real" card. Making the transition from knobs and faders to a mouse and keyboard was interesting as well. It's a whole new can of worms.I guess the one peice of advice I could give would be to start saving, because the more gear and software you get, the more gear and software you realize you just can't live without. Pretty soon it's easy to forget the whole thing is supposed to be about making music. Have fun.:D

heres what im looking at now: apple emac with
• 512MB SDRAM - 1 DIMM
• eMac Tilt & Swivel Stand
• Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
• 1GHz PowerPC G4
• 60GB Ultra ATA drive
• DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo drive
• Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 included
and the tascam US-122. I hope the computer will be good enough for it. I guess my main question now is about software. I will probably go with the Cubase Sl if it is easy to use etc. Any comments appreciaed.

No recommendations here, twys, only more questions. I am interested to know why you chose the apple e-mac, and what sound card you will buy to go with it. How is the sound card that already comes with it, and what you will be recording with this.

And mbuster, what was wrong with the dell, not a real recording machine... what is a recording machine? a mac?

I got the emac because it ischeap (relatively) to other things. If i am correct in thinking the tascam US 122(or something like that) acts as a sound card if you go usb thats what im gonna get. Im really new to recording.

Sapo Cantante said:
And mbuster, what was wrong with the dell, not a real recording machine... what is a recording machine? a mac?
For me, it's not a mac! I just mean I would build a machine optimized for audio performance. Dell makes computers for the masses. Tweakability and upgradability are severely limited. Not that I'm not getting by just fine, I just sigh when I think of what could have been.

Ahh im having second thoughts. since ill be putting in 1700-2000 dollars why not buy a 16 track standalone unit? I really dont know

tws said:
Ahh im having second thoughts. since ill be putting in 1700-2000 dollars why not buy a 16 track standalone unit? I really dont know

For $2000 you can get a much better PC based DAW system...

If i get the emac with the specs as above, the tascam 122 thing and cubase SL- will that let me get as good quality recordings as with a korg 1600?

Also- Since i will be going USB with the tascam into the computer, will I need to get a new sound card or does the tascam act as a sound card. Thanks

Back