Deluxe Reverb RI - opinions?

savageblues

Hi folks, I have the itch for a new guitar amp, and am considering the Deluxe Reverb Re-issue. Can anyone who uses this amp provide feedback?

Also under consideration are the newer Vibrolux Reverb, and (little out of my price range) the Vibro King.

I haven't played the DRRI yet, but am considering it because of its lower power, and 12" speaker.

I have a BF Bassman with 4x10 open back cabinet, and feel I MUST have a Fender Combo with reverb and vibrato.

Cheers!

I have been looking at a Delux Reverb also, I want the vibrato, but I don't get what the difference is between that and the Vibrolux. Other than the 22 watts VS 40 watts, the vibrato is the exact same right. The same reverb unit too? Just with 2 10's and a bit more power?

(other than the fact that I might not be able to crank the Vibrolux as often as the DR, I want the DR to complement by BJ without drowning it out.)

Hi LocusLarsen:

I would guess that the circuits are similar, but the difference will be in the power tube sound (6V6 vs. 6L6), output transformer, and 1x12 vs 2x10 speaker config.

Theres a minty SFVR in the local shop, but I havent played it yet (pricey). I wonder how much louder my Bassman would be compared to a SFVR. I do want an amp that breaks up sooner. From what I understand the reverb stage adds a little gain, and a VR has a smaller OT, so I would expect the VR to break up quite a bit sooner than my Bassman.

Im gonna go play it. I wont be able to resist it if I do!
:D

I have a DRRI and I love it . It has more than enough power for gigs . My band doesn't [play out much but the few things we have done it has done the job with flying colors. The reverb is to die for and while I don't use the Tremelo much it sounds great on the couple of things I do use it on . A lot of guys seem to change the speaker and tubes when they get mine is all stock and just seems to sound sweeter with age.

This amp is loud and clean. I'm told its louder than the originals, to me a disadvantage. I use a 1968 Princeton Reverb in a gig I do without a drummer and generally I prefer the older, smaller amp. My Princeton cannot cut it with the drummer, however, and the Deluxe is PLENTY loud for a gig with a full band. The DRRI sounds great to me, and I have had many compliments on the tone. My amp is completely stock. I play it fairly low and clean and mic it with a SM57. I use an Austone Millenium overdrive for light crunch and a Tubescreamer for heavier overdrive and more sustain. We play classic rock and jazz. For a while I was trying amp simulators, but I am through with those!

The major complaints with the DRRI are:

1) A little too sharp in the high end
2) The cheap power tubes are underbiased from the factory
3) Stock speakers

Other than that they're well received. There are easy fixes for 2 and 3.

1) Visit fenderforum.com and search for DRRI high end brittleness posts. A ton of trial and error work has already been done on this subject.
2) Have a local amp tech re-bias the stock tubes. Better yet, buy some NOS (new, old stock) RCA 6V6GT tubes and have the local amp tech bias them.
3) I think Fender is shipping with Jensen re-issue speakers now so that may not be an issue. If not, buy a Jensen.

Wait....what am I saying.....!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

If someone has a complaint with the DRRI having too much high end, then they shouldn't have bought the amp in the first place, and if they didn't buy the amp and they think it has too much high end, well then they are not in the best of positions to speak down on it because that just is not the amp "for them."

You can't complain about it because a DRRI is what it is...take it or leave it. Its not gonna change, or else it would be a different amp.

LL,

If you didn't want anyone to say anything bad about the amp, then you should've mentioned that in the first place.

You obviously have a hard-on. Go buy the amp.

Ummm......HHmmmmm.........?..............

I don't understand your response. The questions are about "difference" between the two, not which one is better, or what people hate about them. So, maybe you should not have responded...........or maybe I should no have written that after work, which I went to all hung over, and my job is LOUD. (not a good day).

And I am going to buy the amp, I just wanted to know why the Vibrolux isn't called the 40watt reverb.

Back