Delta1010 vs. RME vs. ???

SmattyG

I just posted this in "The Rack", but it should probably be here now that I think of it....

I've been offered a brand new Delta1010 unit at about 20% off what it would cost new by someone I know who bought one a few months ago, and never even took it out of the box.

It is pretty good timing, because I had been wanting to upgrade my soundcard (currently an audiophile 2496), but I'm not sure that that is the upgrade I wanted to make.

How do the Delta1010's AD converters compare to the RME interface, or other interfaces such as the Motu 898? How does it compare to something like the Lucid AD2496? I would like to get more inputs/outputs, as well as getting improved AD conversion. I want to make sure that the 1010 is not going to be underneath what I'm hoping to get...

I have not used the delta 1010, but I have used the delta 66 and also an echo mia for two years.

I then bought a motu 2408mk3 and found a significant difference in the sound.

At the same time I got the 2408mk3 I purchased a lucid GENx96, and it is a great combo.

Before, when I would compare different mics/preamps clients could rarely tell the difference (and to be honest I found the differences to be quite subtle myself). After doing my first recording with my new setup, the differences in preamps/mics were blatent. Even clients quickly note the differences in the sound.

The sound going in is captured accurately and the stereo immage is great.

I got info from others on this board and others before I made my purchase and people who had compared the motu stuff to echo (mona) and ardvark cards (both better than maudio stuff IMHO) thought the sound of the motu gear was better.

I also hear great stuff about RME (as good as the motu stuff or better)

Money aside, I think motu or rme are going to be a more noticable improvement.

I've been chatting with some other people about this, and yeah, from what I've heard, the 1010 is not much of an upgrade in terms of sound quality.

I've been told now, that the Presonus Firestation, or the RME stuff would be a much better bet, so I'm starting to look into these.... I have to go home from work, but I'll post a bit more info about this tomorrow

It's not really fair to compare e.g. the RME Multiface to the Lynx TWO. The Lynx is double if not triple the price per converter. You can always find better sounding converters if you are ready to pay for it. Though I have heard much good about the Lunx cards I do not think they match Benchmark or Apogee hardware. Though those are almost $1000 / converter... But that is beside the point...

I have a Audiophile 2496 at the moment and I chose the RME Multiface as my next unit. What made me choose it was the fact that you can use it with both a laptop and a desktop computer, exellent drivers ( or so I've heared ), some very nice software included, can do 18 i/o if you get the extra converters and the list goes on...

I guess it all comes down to what you need. If you only nead 6 in / 2 out then go for the Lynx. If you want 8 i/o then RME Multiface is a very good choise IMO.

b0b said:

I guess it all comes down to what you need. If you only nead 6 in / 2 out then go for the Lynx. If you want 8 i/o then RME Multiface is a very good choise IMO.

lynx has an expansion adat card as well as aes...16 channels...and you can add up to 4 cards in a system for 16 in out coming from the lynxtwo...

Well, I don't need 8 ins and outs right now, but I do need more than 2, which is what is ruling out a lot of cool products. If it was two that I needed, then I would probably look at getting the Apogee Rosetta or Lucid 2496 and just plug it into the Sp/Dif on my Audiophile card....

The only thing I keep thinking, is that if I go ahead and buy one of these standalone high end converters, then I can run it into the spdif inputs on my audiophile while using the analog ins at the same time, effectively giving me 4 channels. Two of them being super-sweet. That might be an interesting consideration as well....

Anyone compared RME or Lynx to an Apogee or Lucid, etc...? How much better is it?

Teacher, you've definitely gotten me thinking in a slightly new method or my old method... i.e. Less inputs with higher quality. That has so far always been my philosiphy. I have 2 good mics (AKG 451,AT4040), and 2 good pres (A-designs, RNP)... I suppose I should stick with my philosiphy, and go with two really good channels of AD.......

Back