Delta1010 vs. RME vs. ???

SmattyG

I've been offered a brand new Delta1010 unit at about 20% off what it would cost new by someone I know who bought one a few months ago, and never even took it out of the box.

It is pretty good timing, because I had been wanting to upgrade my soundcard (currently an audiophile 2496), but I'm not sure that that is the upgrade I wanted to make.

How do the Delta1010's AD converters compare to the RME interface, or other interfaces such as the Motu 898? How does it compare to something like the Lucid AD2496? I would like to get more inputs/outputs, as well as getting improved AD conversion. I want to make sure that the 1010 is not going to be underneath what I'm hoping to get...

Just upgraded from the 1010 to the multiface. I can hear a difference. Even just listening to cd's there are things I have never heard before on albums that I have had for years. I also could pick out problems in my mixes better. Kepp in mind that there is a pretty big gap in price on these units. The 1010 is a great card but the RME in my opinion is better. Also the RME gives options to add more channels through ADAT, and you can go mobile with it. It also has a headphone out, and very extensive routing options not available in the 1010. I have yet to track a whole song in the RME though so my AD knowledge is not as solid. But you really can't go wrong with a 1010 for the price.

I've got a 1010 and it's a definite step up from the Audiophile 2496 I was using previously. I'll still use the 2496 for scratch vocals, though, just to give myself 10 tracks for recording "live" bands, but there is a definite noticible difference.....everything's "cleaner" sounding. (yes, even through Wackie pres!)

Considering the difference in price and everything I've read about the RME, i would expect there to be a noticible difference between the RME and the 1010. I would also consider the Motu units (especially the non-mk3 ones) to be on par with the 1010. the mk3 units are probably a shade better/nicer.

to be honest, i'd go with the 1010 if you can get it at a good price. then, once you "out grow" it, you can easily step up to the next level (RME, Lucid, etc). unless you really want to drop that cash on the RME now--i would have if i'd had the cash......but i got my 1010 for $375 and that's what we call a "no brainer". :D

i do think you'll be pleased with the 1010. at least, in comparison to the 2496.

wade

I wrestled with my 1010 for about 18 months trying to get it to record 24/96 without pops and clicks-never did succeed.
Replaced it with an RME card and haven't heard ONE pop or click at any sample rate period.

Will be glad to sell you my 1010 cheap but you know which one I would choose.

EagleEars

Is there a big sound quality between the Delta 1010 and the Delta 1010LT? There's a big price difference.

A/D converter comparisons

You have probably com across this site before, but I'll post it on the odd chance that someone has not seen it: 3daudio.com

The site sells a comparison CD with samples from the following A/D converters, including the Delta 1010 but not the RME:

1) Waves L2
2) Sonifex
3) Lucid 9624
4) Presonus
5) Apogee AD 16
6) Apogee Trak 2
7) Apogee PSX-100
8) Digi 001
9) Digi 888|24
10) Digi HD 192
11) Weiss
12) Prism AD2
13) Drawmer
14) dB Tech Gold
15) Alesis ADAT HD24
16) Alesis ADAT XT
17) Alesis Masterlink
18) Delta 1010
19) Tascam MX2424
20) Mytek 8X96
21) Panasonic 3800
22) iZ RADAR 192 S-Nyquist
23) iZ RADAR 96K Nyquist
24) Cranesong HEDD 192-process
25) Cranesong HEDD 192
26) Lynx II
27) Troisi
28) dCS 904
29) Manley Labs SLAM
30) Manley Labs SLAM direct

The also sell comparison CDs for mics and preamps. I have not bought any of these so I can't really say anything about the product other than it exists.

About two years ago I bought a 1010, hated it returned it, swore off digital audio. Sad I know :)

But then I saw the light, which was really me talking to and learning from engineers who have worked for people like George Benson, The Brecker Brothers, Desmond Child, J-Lo, P-Diddy, Notorius BIG, Sam Rivers... blah, blah, blah, the list goes on forever.

So here's the point. I was always told one thing about digital audio, and that's expandibiliy, waiting till you outgrow something and wasting time and money to upgrade your system, and fight off that always crappy down-time is, to me, ludicrous. Buy a system that can expand beyond 8 I/Os, and if you think you'll never use more than 8 to record, how about being able to send off multiple stems of audio, using your DAW to bus out to outboard gear, and being able to send customized mixes to everyones headphones from inside your DAW, you cannot do this with a 1010.

And as far as sound qaulity goes, the 1010 is just not up to par with a lot of the gear I've uses. If you buy an RME card (you can buy a 16 channel Adat Optical card and add an 8 channel expander card with Word Clock later) and then spend money on 8 channels of good converters you are already a step above 99% of guys/gals who record at home. And the great thing about RME is that it doesn't care what converter you plug into the Adat port, it could be an $800 Swissonic (which you can score on ebay for about $500) or a $10,000 2 Channel Lavry Engineering unit! It's a great way to go, you want to step it up in sound, then step up your converter, no PCI re-installs, no new drivers, no screwy computer crap. Your PC won't even know, but your ears will.

So, for all it's worth, think about the future when it comes to your system, and don't settle for something because it looks like a great deal, generally a great deal means that although it costs less, it isn't going anywhere, you have already reached the pinnacle of what that particular piece of gear can do.

Later,
musik

Well, I have still not made the purchase, and I've now decided against buying the 1010 from that guy... It looks like I am going to be saving up for the RME card, as it is the only one that I won't outgrow! I've now looked at countless other solutions, and it's true. Nothing else seems to have this kind of expandability, and from what I've heard, the quality is as good as it gets until you start looking at outboard AD conversion. I have already started my RME fund ;)

SmattyG said:
Nothing else seems to have this kind of expandability, and from what I've heard, the quality is as good as it gets until you start looking at outboard AD conversion. I have already started my RME fund ;)

well the lynx2 is as expandable, but you would have to buy the adat or aes card and the lynx sounds better... up there with the mid level out board A/D such as apogee, lucid, mytek....

Don't you just hate it when you pin your heart to one suggestion, and someone shows you a nicer suggestion so you have to change your mind? Teacher, if you want to find me a LynxTwo card for a REASONABLE price, I'd be much obliged :D

ooooo i guess i should of read your original posts more...whoops...well you can get the L22 for starters then save up your money till you have the money for the lynxtwo-c 6in 2 out...the lynx guys will let you send back you L22 so you'll just have to pay the difference of the l22 and lynxtwo-C.... i did it no hassle...dave and phil are great guys...i switched from a delta 66 to a lynxtwo...haven't looked back since...

Back